Sunday, January 31, 2010

Congo (167) Luebo, Congo 10/16/1927 [DCS]

Oct. 16, 1927 8:30 A.M.

Dearest homefolks:

I am a bad hand for a pen, but I want to write to Nettie and Rubye today and I have a lot to write you, too, so excuse me this time.

I got my package from the Allens about two weeks or more ago, but I kept waiting to write for I thought I'd get your package you said you were sending for Xmas. I got only the Xmas things from Nettie and there weren't any tree decorations. Now I have forgotten what I told Nettie about decorations. I thought I asked her to send them, but I may have written later and told her not to and intended to order them myself. Anyhow, I got mixed up, I reckon, and I'll have to do the best I can on nothing. The things she sent for the children were lovely and it was certainly sweet of her to take so much trouble. I will be sick if your package is lost. I have written the Allens about it and expect to hear in a few days. I waited too long to write about it, but I was afraid they had trunks they hadn't opened and I did not want to hurry them. She has been in bed once since they came. It seems foolish for her to come back to Congo to me, but she may get along all right. I did not get a letter in the last mail, the only real mail that has come since I have been in Congo without my getting at least one letter from you. I guess it was delayed some way and probably you told me about the package. You might try to trace it if you know nothing about it.

I have been doing an unusual amount of entertaining lately, and I am so tired of it. The Dr. Kings and five children are here now going through to Bulape. They are going to be with Mrs. Wharton at the birth of her baby. Mrs. Longenecker expects hers in January. You know she nearly died when her last baby came. Dr. King is one person I never mind entertaining. I'd entertain him every day to keep him here. Max is in excellent health at present. He passed a round worm yesterday, but the treatment for them is not bad, they say. I am surprised he hasn't gotten more worms. He talks about Grandmother and Granddaddy a lot, but the most interesting thing about you to him is that you have a car. I have told him that some day we are going on a boat to see you. A boat blew down at the river this A.M. and he asked if we were going to see you. I wish we were!! B.M.'s eyes are not any better, but we don't feel that we can go home in Mid-winter. We have written to mission meeting, which is in session now at Lubondai to go home in Feb. We are planning on leaving here about the middle of the month. Don't be uneasy if you hear we are coming sooner. We had intended to go to M.M., but for the last month or more, B.M. has been expecting to go to a lady oculist about a day from Lusambo in a car at the Methodist Mission at Wyimbo Nyama, but she has written that she is not prepared to fit lenses.

We have been asked to stay over this next year to take the Cleveland's place at Lubondai, but we could not think of it for more reasons than one. Don't mention this, please, to anyone. B.M. 's eyes are one reason, of course.

I don't know how things are going to be with you this winter. I hope I’m not asking too much, but I should certainly like to have about two dresses ready for me when I get out home. Some of the others said their people had them some dresses ready and it was such a pleasure to shed their old ones-and since I'm not planning to get anything new for the trip, I know it would be fine. Now all I want is for you to select the material and a way to make them. My idea is a rather nice dress (silk) to wear in the car when I go places, say to Livingston, Midway, or around in the neighborhood, and a gingham or two for around the house when I want to dress a little. Something like that olive gingham of yours with all-over embroidery you had when I was at home. Miss Cassie might be willing to select me the silk sometime when she goes to Houston and Mrs. Tucker said she would be glad to sew for me when I needed it. Of course, things may have changed with her. That was when I first came out, but you could perhaps get it made in Livingston. Mrs. Tucker certainly did my dresses reasonably when I came out, but I would like for you to select some way to make them, if you have time. Remember, I still like ruffles and frills, if they are wearing them. The dresses you have been sending me have fitted nicely, so you need not worry about that. I do not expect to be any bigger. Since I use a little coloring on my face, the color of the dress does not seem to make much difference.

I am anxious to know what you are going to do this winter. You know we may be home the last of March or the first of April if we make good connections. We still expect to go by to see Aunt Lutie, but that won't take but three or four days more. We have not decided just how much traveling we will do in Europe, either.

I guess we still have lots of time to write you things, but remember you can write us along the way at the Queen's Hotel, Antwerp, or Latham Hotel, New York. At the Latham especially I'd Iike to have a letter telling us where you think it best for us to come-to Warren, Woodville, or Livingston. Livingston is especially hard for us on account of changing trains with so much baggage. You could write this in your next letter and I think we would get it. If it makes any special difference, write it in the next two so we will be sure and get it. If we don't hear I think we will go on to Warren as the roads are always good that way. Of course, we can tell you on the wire we send from New York. Hope it gets to you straight this time.

The thing I am most sorry about in not getting that package from you is the suit pattern for Max. I wanted to start making his suits and I wanted that pattern. The one I have is too small. I didn't thank you for the rompers. I got them and they were almost too small, so I traded them to Jean for some white material to make Max two suits. She is going to hem them around the bottom and make bloomer suits for her little girl. Mother, you do not realize how big Max is, and he does not wear rompers anymore, only in the mornings. He is still trying to wear out the ones your circle made for him. They are most too small, now, but have been very serviceable. I made Max a bath robe out of bath toweling I had and trimmed it in some cord I had on an old gown we made just before I went to the hospital with a cord around the waist to match. It certainly is cute. My latest in cooking is cream puffs. I made some beauties the other day, and they stood up at least four inches. Dr. King gave me a physical examination yesterday and found me in very good condition. I still have nettle rash nearly every day, occasionally, though--not bad.

Love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment