Saturday, January 2, 2010

Congo (138) Luebo, Congo 2/10/1926 [DCS]

Luebo Feb. 10, 1926

Dearest homefolks:

The plane came in yesterday bringing your letter of Dec. 13. The one you asked especially that I mention getting. I could not tell if it had been tampered with, and I can't see why they should have any more interest in me or our affairs.

And so Dedye and Edd have at last married. I was a little surprised after their waiting so long. Have they bought the McKee place? Mrs. Young should be happy having all her children near her, and married. Hobby will likely be married at the rate he was going when I was home, before very long. I wonder if the Youngs raised as much cane about Dedye and Edd's marriage as about Dedye and Douglas. I think I shall write to them a letter of congratulations. Only Johnnie Mae and Elbert are left out of the old crowd now. I'd love to hear if Edd settles down much after his marriage and if he still takes a lead in singing.

I found both pamphlets you sent about the Indian work very interesting. I don't think any pictures printed in magazines etc. are good likenesses. I am mighty proud of my Mother and Daddy and wish I could have been heir to some of their good qualities rather than their bad or some that are not so redeeming more of my own. While I realize all this still I am more contented now than I have been for a long, long time. It is grand to have my own house to fix up and keep in order. It is so much prettier than it was last time, for I know better how I want it and brought the things to fix it with. If I have time, I'll write all about it in this letter, but I have other things to write first.

Pigeons are our long suit now. We have over 50 and are hoping to have squabs "galore" before long. Chickens have gone up so high we can't afford them every day. Our food order came in on the Lapsley and we got it in our magazine yesterday. Believe me, I was glad to see it, for we had been living off native produce to a large extent. Cargo is coming through mighty slow and they don't see any better prospects for 4 or 5 years. B. M. has made a large wire run for the pigeons and we are going into the business right.

We have something in our garden, too--thirty six tomato plants, lots of okra, for Max is fond of that, and some sunflowers. The seeds are food for the pigeons. I want to plant other things soon, but seeds are very scarce. My touch-me-nots were gorgeous, but have gone to seed now. I am going to plant them over again. It's a shame they don't last longer. I have lots of nasturtiums. They are the climbing kind and are so pretty. Some chrysanthemums and several kinds of ferns and foliage plants which I don't know the names of. I have some pansies and carnations, but they aren't doing much.

I am certainly enjoying my wheel. We have found a splendid road, and I am hoping to ride most every day. I got discouraged and came near selling my wheel, but I'm glad I didn't now. Rowena and I are still great friends. Rowena has her faults, but if you will show me a woman on this station who hasn't faults just as bad as hers and likely worse, I would be surprised. I like Jean Shive, too, and in fact, I have had no hard feelings or anything especially against any of the ladies.

I guess I wrote you that Georgia is to marry a new industrial man who came out at the same time she did. We suppose the wedding will be in April or May and two showers have been planned for her. They may take the Lapsley. Our problem is the Luebo school.

Jean's baby girl arrived last Saturday. They are about the proudest parents I most ever saw. Mrs. Dr. Kings expects a new baby in April. Mrs. Daumery has a baby girl born at Lusambo.

Max certainly is sweet and cute. He jabbers all the time and once in a while hits a sure enough word. Ten or twelve words are about all he knows how to say well. I want to try to fill out your name on a piece of paper that I can paste in when I fell out when he was baptized? I am sorry the pictures were lost, but that kind of thing just can't be helped. The biggest reason that I was sorry that they were lost was that I wanted to show you that he wasn't quite as ugly as that first picture made him out to be.

I suppose it will be better to just drop the Enterprise though I found lots in it that was especially interesting. You never did mention the fact of Mrs. Matthews marriage or the Drews going to San Benito. I just don't know what to tell you to do that is an exorbitant price. Does it cost that much even if you sent several at a time? I don't mind if they are old.

Thanks so much for the luncheon set. I am so anxious to see it. That's something we never get too many of out here. Time for mail to leave.

Love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment