Monday, January 11, 2010

Congo (148) Luebo, Congo 6/20/1926 [DCS]

Luebo

June 20, 1926

Dear homefolks:

It’s time for the air mail again. but we hear that there is a possibility of its not coming on time this time, as we hear one fell on its way back to the pool. I'm hoping it will come in today, however.

Rowena & Kemp started on a months trip to the out stations, but Rowena had to come in on account of a sprained ligament in her arm and has been having to wear her right arm in a sling. She is eating with us and I have been helping take care of her. I comb her hair and do the things that a native can't do. However, she is practically over it now and does most anything she wants to. I believe I told you how badly she wants a baby; well, she worries lots more about it this time than last, so the other day a baby came into the hospital whose mother had died-one of our elder's babies. so she took it to raise~ The child was nearly starved and looked awful, but seems to be doing better since it's getting food. I'm helping her with it some and have given her some of Max's old clothes for it.

We heard yesterday that Mrs. V. A. Anderson was not'expected to live at Bibanga and that Dr. Kelly had sent for Dr. Cousar. She has uremic poisoning and they had to take the baby one month early. The baby was still living and Mrs. McLeroy was nursing it and her baby too. but Mrs.' Anderson was unconscious the last time we heard. It seems the trouble had affected her heart. I think we have so little trouble of this kind to have so many babies. It's likely if she dies that some lady will have to go home with Andy and help him with the children-there are three. I think probably Miss Fontaine would offer; she is at Bibanga now, you know.

Later. The plane came in. The mail hasn't come across yet

I have been entertaining for supper at least once or twice a week. Generally Rowena, Jean, and I put our food together at least once a week and then I invite others on the station. I seem to be hearing from all sides what a good dinner I had the other evening when I invited all the club-Miss Black, Headen, McKay and Miss McLarren (nurse from Bulape), Mr. Craig, and McMurry. That made eight in all and I had a big dinner. I served hot biscuit, vegetable soup, prune salad-prunes stuffed with cheese and garnished with green pimentos and lettuce, and, of course. mayonnaise-I had a big duck and dressing arranged on a plate and garnished with parsley, macaroni and cheese, tinned English peas, sweet potatoes cooked in oven in round patties with meringue on top. My dessert was apricot gelatin, whipped cream, and cake (yellow cake with chocolate icing.) Jean's cook makes the cake. It was a good dinner and I seem to have made quite a reputation!! My table needs varnish so I am having to use my table doths at the present, but I am going to varnish it in a day or two, I hope. That night I used the linen one you crocheted for me when I married and a centerpiece I got in Tenerife as I came back. Another thing I have done lately was to make some delicious doughnuts and I sent a few to Jean and the club. Of course, I know people are nice to tell you things are good when you send them something, but I do think they were good. I have had three good messes of butter beans out of my garden the last week or two and we have enjoyed them so much. I have made me several pillow tops with colored thread and (?) Madibra(?)

I hope by the next time I write I can tell you about the things you sent me.

We are doing well in the squab business, but have not begun to eat them yet There are 50 grown birds. 12 almost grown that we have raised, and 24 squabs and 5 or 6 nests of eggs. I may write more when your letters come this evening.

Love to you all,

Dorothy

P.S.

Air mail came yesterday and one letter from you. The other with the pictures (registered) came this A.M. We think most of them good and it makes me want to take some more right away. The one on the step does not look a bit like Max. I believe your selections were mine and would be most peoples. I did not like the one in chair that looks so big at all. I came near discarding it before I sent neg. It looks ghostly to me. It is plain and shows his body well. B. M. likes it. The back views are precious. I am very much surprised at Fox Co. selection. They are not plain and the steps look hideous.

I still have the same nurse boy for Max and he is good to him. I am having to have someone watch him all the time now for he can open the gate and walk right out into the sun. He came clear around the house at 10:30 today to me on the back porch and nearly scared the gizzard out of me. It didn't seem to hurt him, and I don't think the sun hurts children as it does grown people.

I'd love to see your new dresses. I got a letter from Lucille Wilds at the pool saying they had a large package for us that the Ankers brought. I am still wondering what has become of my other things, but I believe Allens would have written you again if they didn't send them by the party they were to come with. This party reached Matadi on the boat that brought these last letters.

Yes, I got picture of Max with his nurse, but if that is the one you call good, I pity you. Surely you did not send that picture to all our·friends. If so, please send one of these last good ones to correct the error!!

I have already written thanking Nettie for James' picture.

Give my best wishes to Miss Foster and tell her that anyone that is my mother's friend is mine, too..

Lots of love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment