Thursday, January 21, 2010

Congo (157) Luebo, Congo 3/8/1927 [DCS]

Luebo, March 8, 1927

Dear homefolks:

I am in a big hurry this A. M. as it's the beginning of the rainy season after a short dry spell, and we are trying to get things started in the garden and yard. It rained a good rain last night and so it's a fine time to plant. I planted out about 30 tomato plants from raised beds and a few eggplants, but spent most of my time on flowers. I am planting zinnias, cosmos, and a few other things I got at Lubondai up and down both my front paths, most were only transplants and thinned. The one zinnia I got from the seeds you sent is living, but I fear it's been too shaded on the porch. The mail come in last night, got two letters from you and Daddy's enclosure.

Mr. Martin has gotten a call home on account of his mother's weak condition and they want to have a family reunion. It has put in my head the idea of going home. Just to think I could be with you in a little over a month and during your vacation, too, but I have no excuse at all, as I am unusually well for Congo, but of course it was at the beginning of my third year that I began to feel it the last time. B.M. would have been willing, I believe, if I had had more time to get ready. This is just the time of year I want to come home, too. I must forget it though, and look forward to coming home next year about this time. B.M. is having some trouble with his eyes and if they get worse we will certainly come home on that account, for if we stay at home and I think we will, our keep would depend on his eyes. He can't afford to run any risk. We are not expecting to come, of course, but I just wanted to warn you that if you heard we were in New York, you would not be uneasy. Max has hadthe"Flu" but is well again now. I believe every child on the station has had it.

The Stegalls and Rochesters left on the Lapsley last week & Mr. Martin is hoping to catch the same boat from Matadi. If Mr. M. is not as enthusiastic about us as you expect him to be, it is because we are the Hobson's best friends. He and Kemp are in the same department and although I have heard of no serious misunderstandings, they have very different ideas along some lines. We seem to have "clicks" on this station; It can't seem to be avoided on a large station and Mr. M. is very partial to his particular friends. There has been no disagreement, and things are running smoother than usual. I like Mr. Martin very much.He is a fine and most interesting man. I hope you will be able to hear him speak. The Allens and Vinsons are special friends of his.

We are keeping Stegall's Victrola and enjoy it. We have a record in the native language sung by Mr. McKee in England. It isn't very good, I don't think. We may bring ours home. There is a story on the Congo written by Annie M. Barnes. She has not been to Congo, but got her descriptions, etc., from members of our mission and the M. E. C. M. It isn't supposed to be true but is rather interesting. I want us to read it together when I am at home. There are some mistakes naturally. I think I will write and have a copy sent to you. Don't read it until I come. "The Lost Treasure of Umdilla" is the name of it.

The Morrisons are going to our new lake near Kampungi tomorrow for a two weeks vacation. Hobsons will be off the road until Mr. Martin comes back.

I can't think of any news and it's most time to mail this. How I would love to be coming in the place of this, but it's much better to come in a year with a clear conscience.

Love to all,

Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment