Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Congo (150) Luebo, Congo 7/25/1926 [DCS]

Luebo

July 25, 1926

Dearest homefolks:

The long looked for package came at last. When one thing happens on Luebo station everything happens at once. This has been some upset station for the past two weeks. First Petis came in from Bilanga to meet the McKees, then Gilliams and Miss Farmer. Miss Farmer is to go as far as Matadi to take care of Mrs. G.; they never expect to return to Congo. Most of us have felt all along that Mrs. G. was most too rich and high society for a missionary; however, she is really very sick and had to go home. I don't know whether I told you, but she and Mr. G. are cousins and their baby has never been any too well. He looks much better than before, though. They only stayed a day or two and caught a state boat for the pool. Dr. King who brought them from Mutoto stayed to take Miss Edwards back as that is to be her station until Mission Meeting. Then we are expecting several changes in placing of missionaries. Miss Edwards is a Dallas girl and we like her very much. She did not bring much news as she has been away from Texas almost as long as we have, and has been studying French in Belgium. She was the one we were hoping could tune the piano, but she says there are parts worn that could not be easily gotten. Her father is a piano tuner.

Next came the Lapsley and the many preparations for the wedding. I was on the committee for church decorations. The wedding was in the unfinished church and much decoration was necessary to make it possible. But next I want to tell you about the things you sent, for they reached me before the wedding.

Only the package you sent by Ankers came, to my sorrow, for I fear the rompers will never fit Max when they arrive. We hope they are coming with the Cranes who are to come up on the next trip of the Lapsley about the first of Sept, but we have heard nothing to that effect. Such is Congo! I am sure the Allens did the best they could and we do feel so sorry for Mrs. A. I understand that they still hope to return to Congo after several years.

I have reread all your old letters for several months back this A. M. to find out all you said about the things that were in this package, but find that the main letter has gotten misplaced or destroyed. I remember all the main things, I think, except the price. I believe I have written you this before, but I am so distressed, but you know I never was good on remembering the price of anything. I believe you said Miss Cassie got the old rose voile in Houston. It is a beauty, I think, and just what I wanted. I wore it to the wedding and felt so dressed up. The scarf set me off, too, for it is a beauty. I happened to have a very sore throat that morning and it was cold and damp, so it certainly did come in fine. The dress Nettie made up is a little too small, but believe me, I can't let a pretty dress like that go to waste. I took the two pieces for belts that you sent and put them around the bottom to make it longer and I had some satin ribbon that I tipped with some of the dress material, (a small crap that was sent). It looks pretty well with the band around the bottom and I have sun dresses fixed that way in the Delineator. Everyone thinks it is pretty and looks we'll on me. The tie is so pretty, and it is not noticeable that it is small across the shoulders, unless one observes closely. It is just made beautifully. It certainly is good to get new dresses every now and then. I have been so fortunate, for I got those two white dresses for the wedding when I needed them so badly and then these two new for the wedding when others came out in new clothes and I still have two more to look forward to. As far as I personally am concerned, I am glad all four dresses didn't come together so as to divide the happiness.

I am crazy about the luncheon set and am going to use it for the first time down at Rowena's tomorrow evening. She is to have everyone down there to a dinner welcoming the bride and groom back from the lake house. The dinner is to be served on small tables, four at each table, and my set is just what she needs. I may let her use my other one, also.

We made cakes up here yesterday morning. Jean came down to help us. Then yesterday afternoon, I made what they call a "Tennis Lawn Cake"--it is something like the 1-2-3-4 cake--and iced it after supper. It just came out beautifully. I wish you could have a piece for I know you would be surprised that Dorothy could do so well. B. M. is so pleased that I am trying to cook more. I sent half of it to Jean, for she is always sending us something good to eat.

The rompers were just the right size for Max and he can still grow to them some. They looked practically new to me and I am sure he will wear them for several months. I have a pattern of romper or rather, a suspender suit. It fastens over the shoulders and is worn with a jumper underneath--I can't remember what we used to call them--that suits Max so well. I make all his everyday and Sunday clothes by it. It is easy to make, too.

Georgia's wedding went off very smoothly. The day before they were married over here, they had the state wedding. They were married here at 7:30, had breakfast afterwards, composed of creamed chicken, rolls, coffee, and cake. Then Dr. Stix took them to the Bulape lake. A day or two after, they came back from the lake, Georgia got a wire telling of the death of her father. While she had been expecting this news for years, it was a great blow to her. We did not have the station supper for her planned by Rowena. She has a ham, and we are invited to help eat it tonight.

Now some good news for us. However, not very good for Mr. Priest at having to go home on account of the severe illness of his daughter's husband. His lungs were hurt during the war and is gradually dying from T. B. Mr. Priest has to go home to take care of his daughter and two small children, neither of which he has ever seen. Mr. Priest came out as we went home and is a businessman. He has been at Bibanga and I understand he only came to stay for one term and paid all his expenses. I never met him until yesterday, but got interested in him at once. He is a Texan, says he met Daddy at Kerrville and is from Austin and knows B. M.'s people there well. His grandfather was a Presbyterian preacher at Woodville forty years ago. Oh well, he is very interesting. He ate dinner with us today and is to take your beads to you. I am in a hurry, so goodbye.

Lots of love,

Dorothy

P. S. Air service is very irregular, so if you don't get letters when you think you should, that's the reason.--Dot

P. S. The "Lapsley" leaves on Friday and we are sending this down by that way, altho they expect the airplane this evening or tomorrow. As the air service is uncertain just now due to accidents, we are sending some mail down by the "Lapsley." But if the airplane comes on time, and we get mail out on that, it will reach you before this one. If your air service fails, you will then realize that there is considerable difference! There is a tremendous difference on this end.

No comments:

Post a Comment