Monday, January 25, 2010

Congo (161) Luebo, Congo 7/17/1927 [DCS]

Luebo

July 17, 1927

Dearest homefolks:

We got three good letters from you last night. I was not intending to write again, but must answer these. I mailed one only yesterday. There is a chance of this mail from the second plane not going on this steamer, however.

I should be in church now, but I'll tell you how it happened. Rowena has a Sunday School for the native children just at the edge of the village about a quarter of a mile from our house. She has the service for the children while the service for the grown folks is being held in the big shed. I have been taking Max to these services. Today is the first day of a conference for the natives and Mr. Wharton is here from Bulape to preach for us, so we were all going up there, even Rowena. I was playing on the piano, and when I got up to get Max ready for church, he wasn't to be found. B.M. was starting out to the third shed to his service and was late. He called to me that Max was up the path. Thinking that he was going to Miss Black's, whom he is crazy about, I sent a boy to call him. He couldn't find him anywhere, so I went hunting him and found him in his place at the children's service. I would have stayed and perhaps should have but I was afraid I might disturb the native who was substituting, then it was too late to go marching into the big shed.

It's a great honor to have such a smart Uncle as Uncle Jim. We hope to visit Aunt Lutie on our way home. We are thinking of getting Uncle Jim to suggest a good occulist for B.M. to go to. Do you think he would think we were trying to keep from paying, for you know doctors never charge each other? The committee pays all our expenses of that kind, you know. I am afraid Aunt Nell might criticize us anyway. B.M. went in a car that was going to Mutoto the other day to see Dr. King about his eyes. He told B.M. he didn't think it would hurt his eyes to stay until spring if he took care of them. Please tell me how he is going to take care of his eyes and most of his work book work. Nevertheless, we stay until spring. I will not come home in midwinter unless I have to. It's too much risk for Max.

I'm so glad my Xmas box is going to get here. Max will enjoy them so much. I want to have a nice Xmas for him. He is already looking forward to Santa Clause!

We hear that the Allens will get here in about five or six weeks. The stockings you are sending will certainly come in fine. My old ones are just about gone.

I will certainly write to Mrs. Drew. I got such a sweet letter from Miss Cassie. I do wish I could make myself write to my friends more often for it does me so much good to get letters like that. I want to write Mrs.Muller next for I love her, too. Miss Cassie writes that they are building a duplex house in order that August may live with them. That certainly is fine.

I enjoyed the newspaper articles so much. It's a shame about Charlie's picture. He actually looks like he is dead. Has he changed that much? Almost made me cry. The rest were pretty good for newspaper pictures. I'm so glad for Lizzie. I know you are proud of her. Wish Sarah could have had that chance, wouldn't have done our village much good, though. How and what is Alvina doing.?

We get the Enterprise regularly and do enjoy it. Wish you would send in a letter taken from mine to you. Everything is so commonplace to me, it does not seem that there is anything to write. Perhaps I will take courage some day.

You always think of my comfort and pleasure before yours. Please don't change rooms, for B.M. is not apt to stay out at Pinckney long. After two or three weeks, he is likely to start out hunting a job. I love the little room you had built for me and would love to stay in it. The whole place is beautiful as far as that goes. How I would love to stay out there if there were the least chance. I guess I love my old home too much for my good.

Mother, we could never think of taking your hard earned money for a tour of that kind. That is the reason I never mentioned it. It was sweet and like my dear mother to think of such a thing. We have saved some and are going to do some sightseeing for a few days in Europe. I expect if we leave here in February as we plan to do, it will be too cold to spend much time in Europe with their poor heating system

Max is especially well just at present. I am very much contented to stay on until spring. My seeds came and are up and looking fine. I hope to have a good garden. I am going to start sewing for Max for going home before long, and think I will enjoy it. I am looking forward to getting the patterns from Nettie.

Max and Helen get along much better than they used to; however they hardly ever play together unless he comes here or at the tennis court. Mary does not watch them if I let them go down there. It helps me to hear your ideas on the subject. I never tell her anything she does not want to know if Helen is bad! I long for a nice playmate for Max, for whatever she does, Max wants to do. She is about six months older, you know.

I know the house looks nice since you painted it and I'm sure it will still be all right when we get there, for it's only about six months before we leave! I certainly would not spend money on draperies, for the house is pretty enough without them.

I have plenty of soutache braid for Max's suits if you have not already sent it. I ordered it from Montgomery Ward. Miss Headen sent my old barrette back, so I am in no need of combs. We may not open the package until Xmas as you asked at first. It's going to be hard, though. I do not know Mr. Maroney. Livingston people are most all strangers to me. You did not enclose Aunt Nennie's letter.

Today is our wedding anniversary and we are invited down to Rowena's. I have hardly eaten a meal at home since we came back from the lake. B.M. went to Mutoto and I had a lot of invitations out. Jean stayed with me at night so I wouldn't be lonesome. It's nice to have such good friends. I am certainly going to miss them everyone when I get home.

Mr. McMurry had "Tick Fever" and had to stay at Bibanga until he was cured. He came back with the people from Mutoto last night. We are glad to see him back.

Lots of love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment