Friday, January 22, 2010

Congo (158) Luebo, Congo 3/20/1927 [DCS]

Luebo March 20, 1927

Sunday

Dear homefolks:

Your letter was a surprise after our trip to the lake yesterday. It seems that perhaps since their putting on two extra boats from Antwerp that we will likely get mail more often. A plane came in but I did not expect mail. We left yesterday morning at nearly 8:00 A. M. in the truck for Kampungi. There were 8 grown people and four children. The children took hammocks from Kampungi, a distance of about four miles, except Max rode on the wheel with B.M. The rest of us walked. I enjoyed it until in the afternoon, and the walk back to the car tired me. It was all forgotten soon, though. The Morrisons were at the lake and they had gotten things fixed up real nice. We took the children in wading after dinner. Max did enjoy it so much. Then what do you suppose I did. I wonder if you will be surprised. I got Kemp to bob my hair!!! I like it much better than I did before, guess I knew more about how I wanted it. I think it's going to look nice. Now don't tell me in your next letter you are sorry as they are wearing long hair again!! Jean and Mary have both bobbed their hair, too.

B.M. was just as much against it as he was before, I think, but he gave his consent and I believe he likes it now. I have it up in the back, but have left enough on top to pull down over my forehead. I let Miss Headen have my barrette and now I have to use B.M.'s tie pin. That was the best barrette I ever saw. I got it at Gerlachs. I wish you could enclose me one in a letter; would that be against the rules? It had purple glass sets and two wires underneath like myoid bow holder, and about 1 1/2 inches across. I have some small barrette I got across the river, but I can't get them to fasten. I asked Squeak to send mine back. but I am afraid she won't. She said she liked it too well!

I am sorry I did not mention the stockings sent from Gerlachs for I got them, and I don't know how I would have gotten along without them. They were all nice. I couldn't help wondering where you got your news about Albert Mathews. There are certain people out our way whom I believe wouldn't mind telling tales on him.

Max is sitting here on the porch playing church. He sings awhile, then covers his eyes for a short prayer. The only word I understand is "amen." I take him every Sunday to our English service at 5:00 o'clock. He gets mighty restless sometimes. I have been fixing up his baby book this week. I think it is very good for the time I have spent on it and the pictures have helped out wonderfully. I am hoping to hear in your next letter that you have received pictures and films we sent.

I can't think of any more news, my main object in this letter was telling you about my hair. My plan for the next week is sewing. The slips you and Aunt Nennie made for me have gone to rags. I expect to make about four more, three gowns, (pink crepe), and some bath towels. I brought toweling instead of towels this time. I may make me a dress or two for everyday wear. I want me a "ballcan [?] blouse" suit. They remind me of the beautiful ones you made for me when I went to Missouri to school.

Love to you all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment