Thursday, January 7, 2010

Congo (144) Luebo, Congo 5/14/1926 [BMS]

Luebo, May 14, 1926

Dear Folks:

Dorothy has written up all the news that I can think of. We were very happy to get four letters from you in this mail. Dorothy writes something about letters going astray, but I doubt if we have lost many, and even then it might be thru other channels, as I have had one or two to go astray sent to me from the States. I'm sure one of Ida's letters was lost, and believe one more. At any rate, I doubt the wisdom of her suggestion about Leggett, etc.

As regards the palm beach suit, if you have already sent it, well and good; but if not, I believe I'll just let it go for the present. I have plenty of clothes for a year. I was just a bit anxious on account of the embargo on freight and thought I might run short.

Had a good trip to Mutoto, to the Ad Interim. We went one road and came back another. The road going led through a forest for about 50 miles on a stretch, and we certainly enjoyed it; but this road was longer than the others, being 200 miles to Mutoto, whereas the other is about 150 miles. It took us 14 hours going. The day before we were to leave Mutoto, Mr. Wharton had a sudden attack of something akin to appendicitis, and we left Mutoto at 9:00 P.M., traveling all night and reaching Luebo the next day about 9:00

A.M. Dr. Stix was afraid an operation might be necessary, and as they are not prepared at Mutoto to operate, he thought best to rush him to Luebo. However, he was greatly relieved by the time we arrived, and the following day was almost normal.

I don't know whether we wrote you about the new missionaries recently arrived. Both the McElroys and Clevelands have new members in their family. Also the Millers had a new girl to arrive about the middle of April.

Trusting this finds you all well, and with love to all.

B.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment