Monday, January 18, 2010

Congo (154) Luebo, Congo 10/9/1926 [DCS]

Luebo

Oct. 9, 1926

Dear homefolks:

The Air Mail and your August 25th letter has just come. I am sorry there was such a long time between letters, but I guess that was because the plane did not come. I write you more regularly than I ever have in Congo, I think, and I am more happy than I have ever been out here also. I am raising a garden and have fine prospects so far. I don't remember if I told you what I had or not, if so I'll tell you over cause that's the most interesting thing in my life just now, unless it is making suits for Max.

As you know I suppose this is my first real garden and it has been so grand to watch the seed peep out of the ground and then grow. They tell me the insects will discourage me later, however that may be, I am enjoying them now. As I told you before, we start all the rather delicate vegetables in raised beds until they get strong enough to transplant, of which I have two large ones. One is about 4 by 8 ft, the other 3 by 6 and the rows are made the narrow way of the beds. In the large bed I have 2 rows of mustard just up, 1 row tomatoes, some have been transplanted, 1 row sweet bell peppers. I have learned to like them so much and they are also good in salads, 1 row eggplant, 2 rows mustard from which I get greens every few days, 1 row cabbage, 1 row red bell peppers, 1 row lettuce. This bed was started over a month ago and egg plants and cabbage have nearly all been transplanted to the garden. In my other bed are things planted later in order to keep things going and are duplicates mostly--with the exception of turnip greens and celery. I have between 75 and 100 cabbage plants that I hope to share with others on the station. In the garden besides the things I have mentioned, I have spinach, cucumbers, onions, okra, butter beans, & a brown bean (good in chili), black eyed peas (I planted these in order to get them green. I can't get them from the natives thus), and a very large red sweet potato. I got the start from Lubondai. There is a place we are cultivating behind our house where we have planted peas, corn, sunflowers, and a kind of native pea which are especially good for the pigeons. I do hope we can get some good out of our garden for I crave vegetables and we have had practically none except of course what we buy from the natives.

Our pigeons are doing well again and we are eating them right along. We serve them barbecued most and company seems to enjoy them. Won't you-please send me your old recipe for gingerbread and potato pie. I have been trying both these lately, but I just can't make them good like you used to.

Going on to sewing, I have made Max 7 pr. trousers and 5 waists in the past week. Don't you think I am smart? They are just real pretty, too. Do you remember the blue voile waist I had that Georgia gave me? I took that and made a beautiful little waist for Max. Now I hope you won't be angry with me and please don't tell Nettie, but I made Max a suit out of that wash silk you sent me. It was just too small across the shoulders for me and made Max such a pretty suit. It was a beautiful dress, well made, and I liked it, but that's the big disadvantage of sending dresses to me. I am surprised as many fit as do. I am just the same size now as ever. Weighed 91 1/2 yesterday and that's a good weight for me. I have a real good appetite generally.

Max is getting along real well with his whooping cough. He has lost three meals, I believe, and has had it about six weeks. He always coughs worse when it's rainy and damp. I think he must have a very light case. Is it your idea that whooping cough can't be had again even if it's a light case?

B.M. is to go to Bulape to Mission Meeting next week. I had hoped to go, too, for I certainly hate to stay alone, but as Max has whooping cough, I can't go of course. He will be gone 2 weeks and Rowena and Kemp will be on the road. I guess I'll live through it though. Jean has asked me to come up there and stay, but I think I'll stay at home to take care of things and then it's best for Max to be at home.

Later. I left Max with Rowena and went with B.M. to the village where he preaches on Sunday about 4 1/2 miles away yesterday and certainly did enjoy it. I may have told you that I sold my wheel. The man paid down part of the money, then came back and got it because he could not get the rest. He was a great big man and should not have had a ladies wheel anyway. Perhaps I'll sell it later. After a good trip like yesterday, I hate to sell, but it's so seldom I do go I hate to let it run down between times.

I was so glad to get the picture of Daddy and the Southern girls. It's good to get pictures of you folks from time to time. Isn't that little Kodak of mine still working? You could get a roll of films once in a while. It does us so much good. We have been intending to take more pictures, too, but never get it done.

I gave Sankie my Uke and am teaching her some of my old songs. I had ordered some new strings and they came last week--made me wish I had it back, but I hardly ever picked it up but what I thought of the night at our "singing" when I couldn't sing a thing and didn't even get it strung properly.

I am going to close now. B.M. isn't going to get your cheque off to you again this time. I do hope you are not needing it. I hope also you and Aunt Nennie are going to keep well this school term. Now since I have no baby to keep you awake, I should certainly love to be there.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment