Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Congo (142) Luebo, Congo 4/27/1926 [DCS]

April 27, 1926

Dearest homefolks:

I have already mailed one letter to you written on typewriter about my trip to the lake, but want to get another letter mailed if possible. I have an hour and a half.

I am having my first try at sleeping alone. B. M. went to the Ad Interim at Mutoto. So far, I haven't been a bit afraid, but I do get lonesome. I eat out most every meal except breakfast. I enjoy being able to read as late as I wish at night. I am reading "The Garden of Allah" now. I finished “Les Miserables” and enjoyed it very much; as you say, I skipped lots of the dry stuff--such as the description of the sewers of Paris, etc.

I am quite sure Max will be ready to hear stories and songs by the time we come home again. He says lots of words now and is so sweet and precious.

I find I can ride my wheel all right now and enjoy it a great deal. I hope to be able to use it on our trips to the new lake house two hours away. No, I don't intend to have any operations unless I just have to. This mission has gone crazy on the subject. Mrs. Allen has just had four operations in one. They say she is getting along fine. Everyone who goes home spends a good part of their time in the hospital, looks like.

We have no intentions of getting another monkey or we would have kept Joco. Max can't keep up with Puss, and we get rid of the kittens as soon as they are old enough to leave Puss. No, we are just as much against Max playing with animals as you are.

Those are certainly good articles from the newspaper you have been sending me, and I hope you will send me all you get. I am so glad that the Indian work is appreciated at last and that the Indians will get something out of it.

I expected the pictures in this last letter, for you had promised me some. Be sure and say if you sent them.

I do not remember what I have answered of the questions in your letters, for I have been so irregular in answering them. I also feel ashamed of writing with a pencil, but I most always write sitting in the swing where I can watch Max. I hope my next letter will be written with a pen.

I certainly do appreciate your seeing about my dresses for me. Sometimes I feel real mean to have bothered you about it. I could have had Mrs. Tucker do it, for she tells me to ask her any time, but I can't help wanting you to plan them, for I know you have such good taste. I am writing to Nettie and enclosing a letter for you personally.

I guess I told you that Max's sores went away without forming abcesses. There is still a small lump on one side where he sits down, but will gradually go away.

You never told me how the Gibson trial or the Harrison boy's trial came out. Did they come clear?

We left home about the 23rd of Feb. last year. By the time this reaches you, we will have been on the field one year, and I feel like I have just gotten settled. I feel more settled now than I did all last term. There was not a week passed that I did not wish to come home, but I am willing now to sit awhile.

Thank Miss Foster for helping or making my dress and give Aunt Nennie my love.

Love to both you and Daddy,

Dorothy

P. S. The man has just brought in the first two copies of the Enterprise and I am so happy. I can't read them now, though, as I have several more letters to write before the mail gets off.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment