Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Congo (143) Luebo, Congo 5/12/1926 [DCS]

Luebo May 12, 1926

Dear homefolks:

A few words before the mail goes. I have sent you a letter through Nettie for I don't want it to go through Kiam. I am trying to get off some letters one to Beaumont and one to Fla. I heard from those people who were interested in me at the time of my marriage on account of Dorothy Chambers 2nd. They want to do something for me, and they suggest sewing, but as I have had all the sewing done that I need for a while I am going to ask them to send some Xmas presents for the missionary children. Was Mrs. Tracy the leader of their Aux. at that time? Her name is the only one I remember, (when they sent the baby things, I mean.)

Ankers are at the pool and are to be there for about two months as their boat, "The Texas" is on the slip. I am hoping my things will come up on the Lapsley in about two weeks. If they have them where they can get to them they will send them, I am sure. Otherwise, no telling when I'll get them.

Stegall has sleeping sickness. They found it in his blood last Sat. I happened to be eating dinner there when they came to tell them that the nurses had found it in his blood. He wants to stay out here and take the treatment. Dr. Stix is away and has not given his consent for him to stay yet. I wouldn't do it myself, but I say it's up to him and the Dr.

I lost the price of the dress Miss Cassie got in Houston for me. Isn't that just like me. I can't remember prices and I have destroyed your letter. How much was the romper material for Max, that that the ladies of Beaumont got? Also what is the price of one print at the Fox Co? Be sure and let me know when you send pictures to our friends for pictures amount up to a lot in the long run. I believe I asked you in the last letter, but did you forget to put pictures in the last letter? In the letter before you said,'I’ll send pictures in next letter," but they didn't come. I hope you forgot them and that they were not lost !!!

They have had two showers for Georgia. One at Stegalls that I suppose I told you about and a native one at Marie's the other evening. Everything brought was to be made from native stuff. I took a chair that I had varnished.

I have been making pillow tops lately. I had stuffed the pillows at Lusambo, but had been using them without any tops. I am putting quite a lot of handwork on them and am certainly enjoying it. My porch is a beauty, and especially at present. The touch-me-nots are in full bloom. I have seven ferns like the one you had climbing on that white ladder.

Mine are not near as large as yours, but they were only about two inches high when I got them from Lusambo in Jan.

I don't think I ever told you that Dr. Kelly is engaged again. He became engaged a week after the trial of his wife's stepmother.

You mentioned a little hesitancy in sending things by the Wares. You should have felt just as free in sending by them as anyone, for you know while we were at Lusambo we did as much for their mission as for ours if not more. It's kind of a joint affair over there.

I was so glad to hear that Nettie had joined the Presbyterian church. When did she join? I see also from the Livingston paper that she is leader of the Aux. circles. I am so glad that they are in Livingston where we have so many friends. Does Mrs. Muller seem the same to you? Do you think she is out about anything I have done? I hope not for I love Mrs. Muller so much.

Love and best wishes to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment