Friday, January 15, 2010

Congo (152) Luebo, Congo 9/5/1926 [DCS]

Luebo

Sept. 5, 1926

Dear homefolks:

Your last two letters written at Kerrville and one after your return home reached us yesterday. They were so interesting and made me long to be with you. I was so sorry to hear Daddy was not well. I can hardly remember Daddy's ever being sick. I am so glad he is not going to try to keep his other appointments this winter. I do hope he will try to take care of himself. I love my daddy more every day I live and realize what a really good man he is. Mrs. Vinson wrote a letter to Mr. Craig and said to tell me that they thought so much of you both and what charming, consecrated people you were. Well! of course I knew that before, but it's nice to have folks tell you so. I had said to B. M. when I heard the Vinsons were in Kerrville that I wondered how you would like each other, for knowing Mrs. Vinson better than you, I know she can be a snob when she wants to and can also be the most pleasant person I ever met. That runs in their family. Do you remember how the Whartons acted the year we were in Kerrville together? They had a tent very near to ours and hardly even spoke to us. They are just as nice to us now that you can be. I believe I could have been good friends to Mrs. V. if it hadn't been for Mrs. Stixrud, or if things had been as they are now. I am very sorry you didn't get to know Mr. Allen better. He is more my idea of what a real missionary should be in every respect than most any man I know out here. There is something abbut him that reminds me of daddy, perhaps it's only because he is little.

I have just mailed you a long letter, but I wanted to write you while your letters are new. I will likely get the package from Cranes tomorrow. Georgia got me a pair of white shoes at the pool that I needed badly. I was not able to get any white dress shoes at the time I left America. She says they are very pretty, but I have not seen them yet. With so

Many pretty dresses now, I had to have shoes to match. I am liking my dress we got in New York much better than I did. I got turned against it some way, one thing was I feared it was too dressy for a missionary. At the time I bought it they were not wearing sleeves and I couldn't get a thing with sleeves along the line I wanted so I bought some net and lace to match my dress and had some puff sleeves made in Brussels. It cost about $35.00. It was a georgette with pink flowers and a dark pink slip under with hooped skirts. It took on the Belgium boat, but when I got to Kinshasa at the Mission house, I wore it one evening when I was invited out to dinner and as I came through the dining room, Mrs. Stonelake exclaimed, "My word, are you going to a dance?" If you could see the way she dressed you would not be surprised that puffed net sleeves and hooped skirts would shock her. Anyway, it got my goat. I was miserable all evening and didn't wear that dress for six months, I reckon. When I did wear it again, I was back at Luebo and even Mrs. Stixrud who very seldom says anything about people's clothes said it was one of the prettiest dresses she ever saw, and Rowena thinks Lucille tried to copy it to some extent. I shortened it yesterday and it looks much better. I got lots of compliments on it last night at a dinner Marietts S. gave for the Cranes and Worths. There were about 33 there. Several from the other stations are here. Some on visit, some have come to get the ones off the Lapsley and some after their cars. There were 3 Fords, 1 Dodge, and 2 trucks (Fords) on the Lapsley for the station this time, only one for Luebo, a truck for Stegall. I let Sankie have my "Uke." It came unglued like my other one did and besides it had that big hole on the side. I will get me another, perhaps, sometime. Steg has fixed it up for her and I am going to teach her to play it.

I was glad to hear from Aunt Lutie. I wrote to her in the last mail.

The dress I got in Terrell has lasted well. It is still pretty and I wear it when the weather is cool. I never got any good out of it much until I started to Congo. I never went anywhere to wear it hardly. I am certainly going to have a good time when I get home next time. I don't mean I did not have a good time; I enjoyed being at home,but I am going to dress up and go somewhere and perhaps I won't have to leave a crying baby behind. I never held Max when I wore that dress.

Some more dresses by Washborns!! I fear I put my need as being too great, but one can hardly get too many, I suppose. I thank you more than I can tell, but I know you are spending too much of your hard-earned money on us.

I shall write to Aunt Nannie thanking her for getting the toys for me and also the trousers for B. M.

You certainly were good about writing to me while you were in Kerrville. I know how hard it is to write letters at a place like that, at least I always get so interested in having a good time I don't like to write to anyone. You must not be forgetting me very much. I hope we can be at Kerrville with you in two years.

I'll write some more in the morning when I get my things. I had the Worths and Miss Liston for dinner. Miss Liston is here for a visit and rest.

B. M. ordered Max one of the Montgomery Wards Xmas stockings in their sale catalog. It won't likely get here for this Xmas, but we will have it for next year. Did you get a catalog? We thought it was a bargain.

Love to you all,

Dorothy

Dear Folks:

Crane's things did not all get here from Bene McKima, so now the box that has my things in it must first go to Mutato by caravan, and then come back to me. Am I not having a time getting them. I almost cried for I am sure Max won't be able to wear any of his rompers. I don't mind about the dresses so much for I can wear them no matter when they come. I have enough dresses to last me until I get ready to go home, thanks to you.

Love,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment