Sunday, January 24, 2010

Congo (160) Luebo, Congo 4/28/1927 [DCS]

Luebo

April 28, 1927

Dearest homefolks:

Your letter came in last night on a plane we were not expecting. You see, we don't know what to expect these days and we hear now that we will have two weeks air service. This will be very nice if true. Don't you think I have done better about writing to you since I have been back this time?

You were talking about Cisuaka. He is still with us and it seems that we will be able to keep him until we go home. Nzeba, his wife, gave birth to a baby girl this morning and they named her for me (Masinga)--I am going to make her a dress and go to see her this P.M. or tomorrow. It is certainly distressing about Beulah. It seems so strange to me that those girls had those bad ideas in their heads and hearts and that I never knew anything about it when I was growing up. They never mentioned it to me. All the missionaries who come back from furlough these days say things are terrible among the young people, high school boys and girls. I can hardly believe that all they say is true. So you see, it is not only among the Indians, but white people know how to get away with it. Times must be bad.

I was so glad the films reached you. They are good and the envelope was rather heavy. I had some fears that they would not arrive safely. Please send Lucille one of the best of Max and me to San Benito, Rural Delivery.

I planted the zinnias this morning. I was glad to get them, but hope you didn't deprive yourself. I do wish I could see the roses. I am not trying to raise any anymore. I planted my dry season garden yesterday out by the wash place. B.M. had it fenced off for me, and I laid off the rows and planted it myself--okra, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, mustard & turnip greens, cabbage, cucurnbers,and a few butter beans and string beans for soup. Water is a big problem during this dry season, but I hope I can keep it going.

It is so hard to tell what I will absolutely need; you see, I can't tell how these dresses are going to last. I would be absolutely fixed if I went home now. My idea now is a satin dress black or blue, whichever color they are wearing most. I prefer navy blue. Ito has one I am crazy about. She says it's grand for traveling and does not muss easily. The pockets and trimmings are black oil cloth and white buttons sewn on with colored thread. It has a short circular over skirt and a fancy ruffled net front. If I could get something like this that I like I would be set up. I have been looking for some nice material that won't wrinkle badly for the train and boat. In the spring, that's all I'll need with a wrap. I have something here that would do until I get to Belgium for a wrap. You could have this made in Livingston or Terrell if you go there and send it through the mail. I'll go to see Ito's dress and perhaps tell you more about it. The material is the biggest thing. I want it good,but I do, of course, like rather frilly things, not too plain.

Later. I went up to see Ito's dress this A.M. and what do you think. She insisted on my taking her dress and sending her another one for her to go home in. That's almost 2 1/2 years from now. Later, as I wrote this, I began to think that's 2 1/2 years is too long to have a debt hanging on, and if we don't come back to the mission, there is no telling where we will be, so I asked Ito to sell me the dress. She agreed to this, but wanted only $10, but I persuaded her to take $15, and I am sure I will get more good than that out of it. It's a $50 or $60 dollar dress and she got it for $27.50. All my descriptions were unnecessary, but I guess you will be interested to know what it looks like. I am trying to take good care of the rest of my clothes and I believe I will have plenty to come home in. I am going to put this one I have just gotten and the peach georgette you sent me from San Antonio in Jean's cedar chest so the roaches won't get them.

The seed you sent me are up. I hope I can keep them alive during the dry season. Thank you so much for them.

Love to you all,

Dorothy

P. S.. Tell Aunt Nennie I certainly did appreciate the violets and I would like to hear from her sometimes, even though she feels that her letters would not be interesting. I am sitting on the porch and the wind is blowing. That's the reason my letter is so blotted.

Love,

Dot

I had a nice letter from Rubye in the last mail. Glad to hear Hudson and his wife are together again--Dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment