Monday, February 1, 2010

Congo (168) Luebo, Congo 10/18/1927 [DCS]

Luebo

Oct. 18, 1927

Dearest homefolks:

Your two long letters were a joy after not having any from you last mail. I understand why, since your letters last night. I am so glad you took that trip and had such a good time. Hope we can make a trip of some kind in a car next summer, for I have never made one any distance. Wish we could plan one with Hickman, Nettie & James. But that's too far ahead yet. You don't tell me about them any more. I would like to know if Hickman is still working at Snelling's. Nettie hasn't written me for a long time, either. Hasn't written a word about the toys' price or anything. I am glad you have hopes of better roads. If we don't have to go after the mail anymore, I guess we will go to Livingston a lot.

B.M. will take care of his eyes, I think. I wanted to go before the winter months; now it's too late. We don't think Feb. too early to leave here. That puts us in Belgium about the last of March. I have been thinking along the lines of B.M.'s teaching French for some time. He does not think he could spend two years in study at this time in his life. Of course we will have to see later.

Lucille wrote me she was going to Terrell to be treated. I do not believe from what Lucille wrote me in her last letter that they are in bad circumstances. Of course Mr. R. could have lost in some way. But Lucille wrote that Mr. R. had built her a nice house in a nice section near a good school. That was several months ago, though. Some way, I got it into my mind that Mr. White was dead. Isn't that awful, and when you wrote of Mr. & Mrs. White, I certainly had a funny feeling. I thought Mrs. White was in Fla. with Aunt Lottie. I suppose you wrote if Mr. W. died she would go there, and I took it for granted! !

Mother, Aunt Lutie wrote how sorry she was that she had not been able to see us when we were home last time and asked us to come. You see, I know how Uncle Kent does when he goes to see her. We would only be there a day or two and we would go to a hotel. You need not worry about that. I am just as welcome at Lex. even if she has no home to entertain us in as at Aunt Hons. She knows I understand that. If we were to be there a week or more, it would be different. As to K.C., I agree with you heartily. We will manage not to spend a night, but hurriedly pass through. We will go up to Uncle Jim's office and for a few minutes call at the house, if convenient. B.M. is much interested in pigeons, and that is one of the biggest centers in the south. We must spend some of our time seeing them, I am sure.

[Evidently the rest of this letter is missing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment