Sunday, January 17, 2010

Congo (153) Luebo, Congo 9/21/1926 [DCS]

Luebo Sept 21, 1926

Dearest homefolks:

Things are going extra well with us of late. Max has whooping cough but so far has had a pretty light case. Every child on the station and four grown people have it. Max has had it for almost a month and while he coughs mighty hard and whoops, he has not choked and vomited his food yet. They say it lasts generally three or four months. It is certainly a distressing disease and especially for babies. Some of them are losing nearly everything they eat. I hope you won't worry about Max for it seems that most all children have it and how much better now when we are settled on a station with a doctor than when we are en route and perhaps quarantined for several months abroad. The doctor says measles is often followed by whooping cough and while I tried my best to keep him from having it, it must be very contagious. Some of the grown people seem to be having it the second time, while I understood one would not have it twice. I am inclined to believe some of them are mistaken.

Well, we have gotten in a grocery order the last few days and it's the bests one we have ever gotten. I mean more extras. The things that I enjoy most are candy (several kinds), post toasties, puffed wheat, almonds, etc. I hadn't had any pork and beans for several months and I am so fond of them. My garden is just coming up fine and being the first one I ever raised, I am "thrilled to a peanut." I visit them several times a day and imagine I can see them growing. They don't have a garden at the farm any more so we have to raise vegetables or do without.

I sold my wheel for I did not like it and it would just go bad standing around. It did not hurt me to ride, but made me nervous, and I had much rather walk. We have another car, rather a truck, on Luebo now and it won't be so hard to get around, perhaps.

Rowena and Kemp came in today after a pleasant stay at the lake. Kemp is going back to Bulape this P. M. to help Mr. Smith with the car. He has to take Miss Mclaren home. She went to Mutoto to take Nina's place while she was at the pool with Gilliams. (Nina is Miss Farmer.)

The great problem of education of missionary children which was to be brought up at Mission Meeting has for the time at least been settled by Mutoto station ladies. Miss Miller is to be matron, Mrs. Crane head teacher, a highly educated lady, and Mrs. Smith to help with teaching with Miss Edwards to teach sewing. It seems like a fine thing, but I don't think it will mean much for anyone except Mutoto station. Some say they will send their children, but knowing missionaries as I do, it's got to be proved first.

I can't even decide what I would do. I hope I shall never have to decide for myself.

Sept. 22. Your letters Aug 1st and 8th came last night after I was in bed. Was sorry to hear of Mike's death, and I know this kind of thing does make you somewhat discouraged, but you must remember Mike has always been rather a sorry fellow and marrying Tone Johnson's daughter and leaving the village was not good for him. They generally get into trouble when they leave that way. It seems to me that tuberculosis has lost its hold to some extent in the Village, for which you should be thankful, but I suppose there always will be some.

Was so glad to hear that Stella and John had bought the McKee place. I do hope they will be living there when we come back home. Oh! I know you will enjoy having Stella there--how much much better than the other folks. But I guess I should not express how glad I am that they are gone.

It seems a pity to me that you had to go back to Kerrville rather than to Abilene with the folks where you haven't been for years. I can't remember if you ever lived there or not. Of course I, am glad that folks want to hear you and of course it will be good for your work. I'd love to go with you, but I'm mighty glad I haven't your job. I read this pamphlet that was printed for Home Mission Sunday at our last ladies meeting. They all seemed to enjoy it and have read the newspaper clippings, too. That is some have. Have you duplicates of these clippings, for I fear I have lost one. The one that has Celice's picture on it. I don't see how you can be discouraged about your work when others see the grand work you are doing. All one can do is to teach them the best one can, then if they fail, it could not be your fault, but as you say, the Father's will.

The package Crane's brought will not likely reach me for 2 or 3 months. I could just cry, for I must go to work at once and make Max some clothes, suits this time. I have gotten a pattern from Marietta that fits him. I don't mind it so much for I have already made one nice suit and the start is all I needed, still to think those people went to work and made them for me and I'll not be able to use them. I'll have no trouble getting rid of them, however.

Where do Watson and Cullen live? and has Cassie any more children? Do Zinnias seed, if so send me a few in a little envelope next time you write. I mean off yours, just to see if they will come up out here.

I had a list of people for you to send pictures to. I kind of hate to ask you but I know no other way unless you send them to me and by the time they got back to them, they would be out of date terribly. Did you send a picture to the people who sent us that box? If not, please send one. I'll find the address and send it to you.

I have Nettie's baby book. I did not realize I had it.

If there are any of those people you would not send to, scratch them off and if there are others that you think would like one, by all means put them on--but please send me the number of people you sent to.

I got me some beautiful white shoes at the pool. They are high heeled and B.M. doesn't much like that but we are both pleased with them, for they are so much better than we had expected to get.

My rose voile is very becoming and I like it better the more I wear it. The dress that everyone likes best on the station and brags on every time I wear it is the white dress with ruffles that Mrs. Tucker made. Ruffles and fussy dresses are certainly my type. The very idea of my being out with you about the dresses you send. I can't get over it. Please tell me a single dress that you have made or had made for me that I have not liked.

Lots of love,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment