Sunday, January 10, 2010

Congo (147) Luebo, Congo 5/31/1926 [DCS]

Luebo,

May 31,1926

My dear homefolks:

I can hardly believe that tomorrow is time to look for the mail again; it seems such a short time since last time. I know I am going to make a mess of this letter for I am full of quinine and as shaky as can be. You know I said I wasn't going to take quinine every day, but wait until I begin to feel bad , so night before last I had a slight chill and a little fever all night, so Dr. Stix has me on a course of quinine. I went to see him this A. M. and he took my blood and says I am normal. I mean by that not anemic, only a little malaria, he thinks. I am doing pretty well for Congo this time. One reason is that I am contented now and Max is so well.

Mary Morrison had an operation last Fri. She was very badly torn when Helen came and had never been repaired. She is getting along unusually well, they say. Dr. Stix is a splendid surgeon, we all think.

The Lapsley was delayed, so of course Georgia had to postpone her wedding. Her trousseau came the other day from home and it is a beauty.

Dry season is on in earnest and everything has to be watered that we want to live.

There have been several things that I wanted to write you about, but I forget to in every letter. I brought your powder puff away on purpose, but soon after I left home, I found I had both yours and mine. I had bought me a supply of powder puffs to bring with me and I was so sorry to find that I had brought yours, too. Also I have regretted many times bringing the oil cloth table set that was sent to you. I must have seemed a hog. Have you ever varnished your table on top? I should have been giving you some sets instead of taking yours. I realize things like that always after I have done them. The hair brush you gave me is splendid. It's the only brush I have that I can brush Max's hair well with. It’s so good and stiff. I use it on my own, too.

Did you find my glass candle sticks after I left? I got four for my stable when we have company and then forgot to pack them. At least I suppose we didn't lose them on the way.

Mrs. Cleveland, King, McElroy, Miller all have new boys. Those expecting: Dorothy A, Mrs. Earl King, Smith, Anderson (Bibanga). I suppose you have heard the sad news that Mrs. Allen has T. B. and they may never get to Congo again. I wonder if they sent my things by Longeneckers. I don't think you need fear to send small packages through the mail. Even Ga's expensive wedding things came through O. K. Don't send through Kiam. It pays to be safe.

I am writing congratulating the new mothers around Kiam. I hope you don't mind. Mother, unless they did you or your work harm, I don't feel like ignoring them for they have been good to me in the past and Ruby even came to see me several times when I was at home. They may have been egged on to saying things they should not. Please write me what you think.

I may have a chance to answer your letters when they come, but there isn't any more news for the time being.

Love to all,

Dot

Later. Your letter came and it's always a thrill to get one. Glad you are all well again and am wondering what your plans are for the summer. You didn't say a word about it. I'd love to be with you, but am not "hankering” after any more trips for a while. I imagine there will be a large party coming home in the spring (next), and if I get anemic and not feeling well, I may come with them, but I feel now as if I could stay three years.

I too am a strong believer in physical exercise, but it seems that I can never get started to doing them. I suppose I needn't to have said that though as I know you and B. M. both make fun of me for saying it. But I may fool you someday.

The Lapsley is again delayed as they are still on the slip. Longeneckers were delayed again on account of one of their children developing measles before they were supposed to sail. They came on the next boat and likely the Lapsley will wait for them at the pool. I do hope they are bringing the things you sent to Allens as all Max's clothes will be too small otherwise.

I am sorry Hickman could not stay at Gerlachs for I felt that he was somewhat settled there. Who is starting the wholesale house. Anyone I know?

As to the Ferguson brooch, I am sorry she lost it, but I never felt that concerned me personally.

I must write some more letters so goodbye. I want to tell you again how cute Max is. Your picture is on the piano and most every evening before I put him in bed, I show him that picture and try to get him to say "grandmother," so if he doesn't know about you; it won't be my fault. One of the cute things he does is when he hears anyone say "let's have the blessing, he pulls my hand over his eyes and says "head" then he keeps just as still while the blessing is being asked.

Love to you all,

Dorothy

Our vine is beginning to come over the frame on our porch. (It was cut down while we were away.) It makes an entirely different place to have it sheltered by the vine, as it is on the west side. The dry season will no doubt delay it some, but it is coming alone nicely.

We are just now beginning to get some results from our pigeons. They are improving rapidly now, and we hope to have some meat before long. We both enjoy watching and caring for them. They are interesting creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment