Thursday, December 31, 2009

Congo (135) Luebo, Congo 12/4/1925 [DCS]

Luebo Dec. 4, 1925

Dearest homefolks:

I have read your last letter over and over. It is very interesting and I must have appreciated it more because I hadn't heard for a long time. However, I don't mean by that that I want you to wait longer about writing. I believe so far you are hearing from me oftener than you did last term, are you not?

We have had quite a diphtheria scare around here lately. One of Dr. Stixrud's children has it, and nearly died, but is out of danger now, they think. All the other children have had part of a dose of serum as preventative. So far as I know, Max has never been exposed to it. Several people, myself included, doubt whether it is diphtheria; there are no other cases that we have heard of and that is supposed to be very contagious. It has never been known in Congo before, either.

The Lapsley has gone to Lusambo to take the Daumerys and to get our things. They expected to be back about Xmas time. They will be a much needed and appreciated Xmas present.

Max is in fine condition again and it is certainly good to have so little trouble with him. He sleeps from three to three 1/2 hours a day besides going to bed at 6:30 and sleeping to 6. Our porch and wood floors are fine for him here. I keep them clean and when it isn't too cool he goes barefooted. The weather we are having is pretty bad for children as it rains every day and is damp most of the time. I try to keep him well wrapped. I don't have to depend so much on milk for him now as everything I give him seems to agree with him and we are getting quite a few vegetables from the farm. Just to think he is still in dresses, but all my materials are at Mutoto.

Well, what do you know about it! I have a wheel and have learned to ride. I can't turn corners yet., but I can ride on a straight road. I got my wheel on Mon., this is Saturday, but I only practiced 1 hour in all at night when the moon was shining and yesterday afternoon, I got on and rode right off. It tickled me to death to be able to ride. You see, I didn't care much about a wheel until I got here and all the ladies have one. We can't get hammock men and I didn't have any way to go places. I won't ever try a long trip through country as some have done; that would be too much for me. Do you remember how I used to long for a wheel but I see now there was no place to ride one out there much. Forty dollars is a lot to pay for a wheel, but I can get rid of it at a good price up here if I take care of it. A lot of the natives have wheels now.

B. M. and I are reading "Les Miserables" together. This is the second book we have tried to red together but failed 'on the other. We are doing fine so far-have spent about a week or more on it. Have you read it? I have been trying to think up some of the Indian language lately. So far I have only 75 words. I don't know why I didn't get one of the Indians to help me while I was at home. I may send this list home sometime and get you to see if they are right and get some more that I used to know and have forgotten.

I made some mayonnaise in about 10 minutes this morning. You remember how long it used to take me. Well, I am braver now and pour the oil faster.

We have given Joco to Georgia McKay. He took everything away from Max and acted like he was going to bite him once or twice, so I thought it best not to run the risk. We thought when we first came back that we would try by all means to take him home with us, but he has gotten pretty bad about biting and loses his temper if things don't go to suit him. When monkeys are mean, they can be very mean and we might have to kill him after we had gone to the trouble and expense of taking him home. He has never offered to bite us, but it's the other fellow. I think one little monkey will be enough to bother with when we are traveling.

You asked about the prince in your last letter. I have forgotten what I wrote you but think I told you all there was to tell. He never came out to the Mission after all our trouble. It seems that he was not on an official visit so did not have to go everywhere he would have otherwise. I saw him in a car once and he raised his hat and bowed. He was just a nice

looking bashful boy of 21 or 22. He was entertained pretty high here at Luebo. Miss Allen who drove him around over the station got an invitation to visit him in Brussels ! !

Dec. 12. Later. Your letter came in last night. It was quite a surprise, we knew the airplane came yesterday afternoon, but did not expect it over so soon. I was entertaining the Shives for supper. They had not seen Max for some time, not since Stixrud's child got sick, and they nearly went crazy over him. Well, he was cute. He just tried to show off,

looked like. He has said "Mama," "Daddy," U shoe" and "kitty" and tries to go like a goat, and jabbers all the time.

We were glad do get the pictures but we thought the one of Max fierce. I hope you did not send any of them to our friends. We can't remember for sure as everything was so stirred up at Lusambo about that time but I am most sure I sent you 3 or 4 negatives we took soon after Max began to walk. These I am sure were better but not the very best. I hope to take a lot when our stuff comes.

Dr. Stixrud's child is nearly well now and time is past to catch it from him. It must not have been diphtheria.

My wheel hurts the end of my backbone and I may not be able to keep it. We may get the seat tilted in such a way that I can use it.

Let us know how long it is taking our letters to reach you. I appreciate your looking after my dresses. I am looking forward to them.. I hope to write Miss Cassie soon. I may write Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Nickols or some of the Beaumont folks. They were mighty nice to us there.

It's strange to me about Dorris and Harry. She could have and must have many good chances, and Harry isn't even good looking. But let her marry the one she loves and don't try to change her. She is old enough to know what she wants.

I am glad you and Aunt Nennie are enjoying teaching. No. I don't believe you and Daddy are ever going to retire. Hope your rheumatism is better.

Lots of love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment