Sunday, December 20, 2009

Congo (124) Lusambo, Congo 6/1/1925 [DCS]

Lusambo June 1, 1925

Dear homefolks:

Quite a lot has happened to us since I wrote last. I suppose you never dreamed of hearing from me at Lusambo, nor neither did I dream of writing to you from here, but nevertheless, we were sent here for a few months. As there was no paper for the printing office owing to the difficulty of getting supplies and as there seemed to be no one to fill the need here for a few months, we were sent. As it happened B. M. heard at the pool of the shortage of paper and bought some there (from the pool, I mean--Kin) but as we had already been sent here in the meantime, B. M. has written a letter stating the needs at the printing office to which all will likely agree and we will have to pack up and return to Luebo in about three or four months. Likely I am just repeating what B. M. has written.

This is a pretty station; we have a nice house and while it is only a mud house, I like it better than our house at Luebo. Miss Fontaine, a trained nurse is here with us and there is a doctor and nurse at the state. Miss Fontaine is rather an elderly lady and ranked rather high at John Hopkins. I suppose you will know where that is; some large hospital. I am very well satisfied here and of course, I am glad of a stopping place after several months of travel. We reached here day before yesterday. The Wilds brought us around from Luebo on the Lapsley.

Mrs. Stixrud is expecting her little stranger next month. They were very nice to us. They are due by mission request to leave for furlough next March so that all the doctors will not all be due to go home at one time.

Company came yesterday and I did not get to finish your letter. I am very busy trying to get things settled today. I hope someday to write you a decent letter again.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment