Thursday, February 4, 2010

Congo (171) Luebo, Congo 1/1/1928 [DCS]

Luebo Jan. 1, 1928

Dearest homefolks:

A note before the mail closes. I have had the Flu for the last three days so don't feel strong enough to write much. I have not been very sick, just a little fever, but it has left me very weak, even though I have not been in bed all the time. There is a lot of it in the village and among the missionaries, too. One thing that has been hard on me has been trying to pack and the uncertainty of our going to Lubondai. We have about decided to wait until the glasses come after all. I wonder if you can realize how hard it is not knowing what is going to happen next. I had almost torn up housekeeping, but we did not get off to Lubondai when we expected to B.M.'s eyes hurt him badly when he uses them, and the occulist told him not to use them, but they put Miss Black as station treasurer and she can't get on to the job and expects B.M. to help her all the time. He feels sorry for her and it's hard for him to refuse. That's why we need to get away.

There is a committee in here to look over the Lapsley. There have been some changes made and some felt they made the boat unsafe--Mr. Pettis, Bibanga, Bell Anderson, Lubondai, and Mr. Daumery, Mutoto.

Max had a perfectly wonderful Xmas. Rowena helped me fix his tree. She had all the decorations, including candle holders. I had some crepe paper and bells and the room just looked beautiful. I have not tried to count the presents he got. Every person on the station gave him something besides I had quite a lot to give him. He got two guns and Mr. McMurry gave him a garage with five cars, the kind Aunt Nennie sent us last Xmas. He is wild about the set and plays with them all the time. I have put some of the things away, for he just got too much for his good and breaks them up so badly. It hurts me, for I can't ever remember breaking my things just for the fun of it. I wish you could have seen him, though,when we brought him in to see the tree. He was just too precious for words. It's at times like this that I do wish you could be with us. It was the first Xmas we have celebrated in our home since we married. Of course, the reason is Max is old enough to really enjoy it. We ate our dinner Xmas day with Mary, then the station had a big dinner at Rowenda's Monday night. The Lapsley got in just in time for Xmas with the Savels, Miss Headen, & two new ladies. Georgia and Mr. Watts hadn't been up for over 6 months, so we had great rejoicing. Georgia is expecting a new arrival in April, and perhaps I wrote you Dorothy Anderson expects one in Feb.

The Lubondai people seemed very anxious for us to come there and we may go yet if the glasses fit. If the glasses fit, we may resign at April Ad Interim Meeting, or I may come home alone. I do wish we could talk it over with you.

I can't help but wonder why Nettie does not write me. I wrote thanking her for getting the Xmas things and asking the price and about the patterns and she never wrote me. Everything came except the patterns. I suppose I wrote you that LeNoir got my package by accident and wore all three pair of stockings before she found out they were not hers. I got them just before we left for the lake. I just can't remember if I told you or not. I thank you ever so much for the stockings. They are beautiful and I will certainly write Mrs. Drew soon. I haven't memory an inch long these days.

Love to all,

Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment