Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Congo (169) Luebo, Congo 11/3/1927 [DCS]

Luebo

Nov. 3, 1927

Dearest homefolks:

The mission left it up to the doctors about B.M.'s eyes and whether we go home in Feb., so you see it is uncertain. It looks to me as if they are trying to keep us from going. B.M. is sure his eyes can't stand it, but he has such a strong conviction about resigning, I don't know what we will do. B.M. has had trouble with his eyes for over 1 1/2 years now, and I was anxious for us to go home several months ago. The mission says if the doctors think 2 or 3 months rest would do any good, to take it, preferably away from Luebo. I can't imagine any place out here I would enjoy staying 2 or 3 months and I will not be happy if I have to stay over. Of course, the doctors have not had any meeting yet. Dr. King is at Bulape and wants B.M. to go back with them to Mutoto and from there to the M.E.C.M. to a lady occulist. We don't know a thing about her, only she had not brought her outfit saying she wanted to look conditions over first. It is certainly a suspense to me. I have everything I need for going home and most of Max's clothes made. Even a few months would make a difference in my outfit. However I am still planning on Feb. until I hear otherwise.

I bought a white wool chambray dress trimmed in red buttons from a woman across the river who is outgrowing her clothes. It's a beauty, almost new, for about $5, and I bought a cape from Mrs. Dax this A.M. for $5.50. It's also pretty, a light gray trimmed in orange braid, the very thing I need for a spring wrap and on the boat. I notice from my McCall's Oct. issue that capes are in again.

I just can't write any more. I am all upset as I always am when I have to buy clothes.

I love you,

Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment