Sunday, February 7, 2010

Congo (174) Luebo, Congo 2/19/1928 [DCS]

Luebo, Feb. 19, 1928. Sunday
Dearest homefolks:
One week from tomorrow, we are expecting to start on our long trip home. From the State, we hear that Yellow Fever is finished at Matadi. The Millers are also going with their three children, so we will have company. They are very nice people. We stop keeping house about Thursday and eat with Rowena in order to get everything packed and sold. Everything is practically finished now. I still have to finish Max's suits, but there isn't much left.
Miss Wilson of the Baptist mission of whom perhaps you remember us speaking of being at the U.M.H. and a Dr. Parmer of the Swedish mission came up on the Lapsley on a visit and they are going back with us, so we will have quite a jolly party. Miss Wilson is a lovely lady, even though she is English, and they generally throw up their hands in perfect horror at some things Americans do. She is a sport, though.
I haven't gotten your last letters as the plane did not bring foreign mail last time. It comes up on boats again as it used to unless the letters have special stamps on them. We have certainly been fortunate, for air mail is practically finished now. I don't imagine you will have any more letters coming out here. Be sure and have me a letter at the Latham. I have written Nettie that we are going to try to get to Shreveport so as to go straight to Livingston. We want to leave most of our baggage there to save transport. I had so much rather come that way, too, so I can see Hickman, Nettie, and James and my friends in Livingston. Do hope the roads will be good so you can meet me. We are planning now to go by Lexington for a day or so. If the committee has any special occulist for B.M. to see, we may have to go too far out of the way. We can't afford to go much out of the way. I am going to save every cent I can so we can get started housekeeping when B.M. finds a job or decides what we will do. As Easter is when Uncle Kent is generally around Lexington, I hoped to see him, too.
Mrs. Cleveland sent the combs to me yesterday that you folks had in my Xmas package. B.M. never got his things and I am ashamed to ask any more. I didn't know until your last letter that there was anything for B.M. Thanks for the combs. I will enjoy them on the way home.
This is the last letter I will write until I see you unless we don't catch the 12th of March boat. If we don't, it's because we are trying to be careful at Matadi. We won't run any risks, so don't worry.
Goodbye and love to all,
Until we meet again.
Dorothy
P. S. Max is very excited about going to see Grandmother and Grand daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment