Monday, September 7, 2009

Congo (83) Luebo, Congo 9/19/1922 [DCS]

"Luebo" Sept. 19, 1922

Dearest folks:

Meant to spend all day letter writing as I have so many to write, but as usual at this station something interrupted me. This time it was for my own good, though.

Have just finished a course of medicine to get rid of malaria. Dr. found me with quite a bit about two months ago and I'm just now getting through with his treatment, so I went this morning to see if I was free of germs. He found no germs at all and my blood is better than it's been since I first came to Luebo. This was good news to me for I am so anxious to be well and strong for my work the next two months. Georgia is going to Mission Meeting and I am to have charge of the large shed school, besides my own class. This does not sound very hard to you who taught for so long, but I was not so strong last term and I got mighty tired with just my own class. I'm feeling so much better now, taking plenty of exercise and eating well.

Most everyone except us are going to Mission Meeting. There will be two or three men left besides and several women. We hope to have peace and quiet for a while, not that we have been having trouble, but won't have so many people and so much going on. Dr. Stixrud and family and Georgia are going by way of Bibanga and Mutoto on their way home from the meeting. The Lapsley will come by here for our delegates.

Besides my blood test this A.M. Dr. filled four teeth for me. I knew I had some as Mr. Wilds found them, but never did fix them for me. He works very, very slow and couldn't work steadily at anything. I was certainly glad to get it over with as I dreaded it. That sounds like my teeth are going fast, but I don't think they are. I've never had any trouble with them and every Dr. or dentist that looks .

(page missing)

....pictures. We have bought a more complete developing outfit now and should be able to do some pretty good work. Perhaps you have heard of a tank developer, anyway, with this tank developing is done easily and more correctly. I believe I've promised to sent you some pictures taken at the time of Mission Meeting last year, but never have done it.

I'll try to send them with this letter.

I have taken a new start with flowers this rainy season, seems like everything goes against me, but I'm trying hard. Have gotten rid of one of my monkeys and the other isn't so hard to keep tied now, but the bugs are my greatest set back. We have a good start of tomato bushes and I want to plant out some more vegetables.

Certainly was glad to get some new ideas of games for parties. We are going to have some parties when Sarah comes home. She is a good hand at the like and I told her I had some ideas to suggest, but I don't want to have another at my house. I nearly worked myself to death, and then it didn't turn out very well.

It was certainly sweet of you to send those spoons to Stella in my name. I had racked my brain to think of something to send from out here, but it was dense. There is nothing in Congo nice for wedding presents.

I thought of writing Dr. Davis's family a letter of condolence, but I really don't know much about his family and it takes a letter so long to go from here that I think it's best not to write any more of that kind of letters from here unless it's someone I knew very well as it seems so much like a reminder for the person has been dead so long before a letter could reach them. Elbert Matthews is another one I suppose I should have written to, but I did not know his father very well. If you think proper, just call him up and say I send sympathy in the loss of his father. I don't know that this is necessary, though; he and I were mighty good friends. Another death I was so sorry to hear of was that of Mr. Will Sanders. They seemed to be such good people and real good friends of ours. Where is Mrs. Sanders and son? Please send them my love if you happen to write to them.

Perhaps I told you that my "yellow" skirt had worn out on the seat. Well I got it out the other day and with Miss Black's help, or rather advice, took a plait in the back over the worn part. All the rest is good, so I washed it out and the waist and they look like new again. The skirt faded to almost a pink, but this rather improved it in my eyes. I want to fix up the blue voil a little, but don't know exactly how, yet. Think I'll take off the top flounce as it's the dirtiest and has a rat hole in it.

I'm going to stop now and take some pictures, so goodbye.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

(The following was included in the envelope for the above letter.)

Bulape

Monday morning

Dear folks,

We are mighty glad you are so near and will be here before so very long now. Just a line to greet you and make you know how welcome you are at Bulape and especially at the "Hobson's House". The gates of the city are open to you!

We are sending our man to Dibanda to get food for your men. We are giving him 3 franks in makutas for fear you haven't any on hand. We give for a small mutanda of bidia and a small pot of greens 10 centimes. We are afraid that when we send ahead for food and then leave it for the men to pay for that they will not do what is right about it and then it will be almost impossible for us to get it another time. It is very hard to get now. Thus the makutas.

Hope you have a fine trip so far and that you will not be so very tired when you arrive here.

Will see you later,

Rowena

No comments:

Post a Comment