Saturday, September 26, 2009

Congo (97) Luebo, Congo 5/8/1923 [DCS]

Luebo Tuesday

May 8,1923

Dearest homefolks,

I just got back from the lake at Bulape yesterday. Rowena and I went together for a rest as our husbands could not take a vacation, and we felt that we needed one. We were gone from the station about fourteen days and Kemp and B. M. came up to Ibange to meet us and we spent Sunday up there together. Ibange is about half way between Bulape and here. The lake was fine, but not as fine as it was last time we were there because this time we were there in the rainy season and there were some mighty hot days while we were there. But the rest did us good, as we did nothing but read, eat, sleep, and sew. Twas lots of fun. I certainly was glad to get back to my husband and home, though.

The bride and bridegroom are up there now on their honeymoon. We fixed the lake house up mighty nice for her and put ''The Romance of a Nurse" up all round the room. It is very cute, we think, and I wish you could see it. We did not go swimming this time, as we were afraid to go, there being no men around to save us if we started to drown. There was not a good boat, either, only the one to carry our things across, and it leaks terribly, so there were two of our pleasures taken away. The boat is being made, but isn't finished yet.

Mary's wedding was quite a swell affair, they say. I did not get to be there, on account of being at the lake. I believe I told you that I was supposed to play the march, but Rowena and I decided we could not possibly go any other time, and that we both needed it , so I got Mrs. McKinnon to play it for me. I feared for a while that Mary would be hurt, but

she seems to be as friendly as ever. One thing, we fixed the lake house for her and our meeting and greeting her at Bulape cheered her up, too. But I felt that as I am going to have to stay at Kinshasa three months after my long stay in upper Congo, I need as much rest as I can get. I think that going to Kinshasa won't be as hard as I thought It would be at first, and one thing, it is going to make my last few month's fly faster, I hope.

I couldn't help wondering why you backed out of going to Houston to hear Mr. Martin. I am afraid you missed something by not going to hear him. He is certainly a good speaker. I am not surprised that they did not get him to come to Livingston at all, but I was surprised that he is not going to leave for Africa until August. We expected him here in July and we were afraid we were going to have to move out of our house ahead of time in order that he might move in. But if he does not come until August, we will be ready to move out by the time he arrives. As far as sending my nice new clothes by him, I don't see any other chance to send them, for I would be afraid to have them sent by mail, even though we have been having good mail service, because if I should lose that it would be bad and there are to be no missionaries coming out after him, and you have to count on delays. then you see we begin our journey home in a sense in November, and I need clothes for Kinshasa, too. If you can get in touch with the Millers and they are coming at a good time, it will be all right to send things by them, but whatever you do, don't send things too late. had rather have them three or four months ahead of time than after I leave. There are so many causes for delay in the Congo and after they leave America. I have not heard when the Millers are expected. back, but before we leave, I think. I have been thinking that since I have such a little time to travel in winter, that it would be better not to send me a winter

dress or a very cheap one. The sport suit, if you get one, would be of more service if it's dark, say navy blue, then I might not have to buy a traveling suit in New York. When you hear I'm coming home, have me a letter waiting in New York telling me what to get, the style and everything. Whether gloves, parasols, veils and little things like that are in style at that season for traveling or what is. See, I've been so far away from styles for so long, I'm going to be lost if you don't find out and tell me. Of course, I'm not going to get any more in New York than I have to and know is the right thing to get. It will be spring when I get there. I just supposed Dr. Davis was dead from what you wrote and came near writing a letter of condolence to his family. He is a mighty dear man to me having helped both my mother and my aunt so wonderfully. Don't fail to tell me whether he is still alive when you write again.

I wrote to Aunt Lutie in the last mail and asked her if it were possible for her to come out to see us when I get home, so if she agrees at all, please have her come there instead of now. I told her if she thought she couldn't come, that I would try to go by Lexington to see her if we took the St. Louis route.

Was certainly surprised to hear of cousin Hannon's marriage to the Field girl. I'd like mighty well to see them, too. But don't suspect cousin Hannon remembers me at all. It's been so long ago that he knew me. Of course, cousin Lora was the one I knew best.

Was sorry to hear that grandmother was sick. Do you think she feels all right toward me now? Would have written her, but don't know hardly how to write to her if she feels that we treated her bad. I don't want to seem too anxious to make up or be nice. They are the kind of folks that might say I was friendly in order to get some of her money, but I certainly

don't want any of it.

Got a letter from Douglas' Dedye in the last mail. Was quite a nice letter, but bragging on Doulas, as usual. She says they have a Ford and pretty bungalow home, but the thing that most surprised me was that she and Douglas were going to a "college" in Port Arthur. I hope they can go, but I have my doubts. I'm glad Edd's doing well, but the more I hear, the more I believe that he is nothing but a "flirt" and don't care to marry anybody. I don't want to say all I think about him in a letter, all I will say is that I'm mighty sorry for the girl that gets him and I'm mighty glad it was not I.

In the same mail I got a letter from Gretta Cunningham. She is married now and lives in Arkansas. She certainly wrote me a sweet letter. It's a shame the way I have treated that girl. She is a friend worth having. She asked us to visit her when we come home, and I certainly wish we could go. Of course, it's too early to make plans now. Evelyn is also

expecting me to come to see her. I can't go everywhere.

We certainly were glad to get Daddy's letter. I was sorry to hear about the cat, but I can't remember her to save my life, neither can I remember Blackie. I do hope you have a cat when I come home. I have had cats all my life and I'd be lonesome without one. I certainly have a nice old cat out here. She's by far the biggest pet I ever had in a cat.

I have been meaning to tell you how pretty everyone thinks my white dress with the black ribbon in it is. I too think it is one of the prettiest dresses I ever had and looks well on me. I don't know what I would have done if you had not sent me those dresses. I didn't realize how I needed them until I got them. Nearly all my old clothes have worn out. I will

know how to take care of my clothes better next time. Everything faded so bad this time. We have things washed so much more often and the sun fades more out here, too.

I start back in school again in the morning. This is the first time I have taught for quite a while now. I got filled up on teaching while Georgia was away at Mission Meeting and haven't been back since. In fact, B. M. didn't want me to go back for a while. Georgia is all by herself and wants me to take a class, so I'll teach this next three months (one school

term), then t'will be time for me to pack for Kinshasa. That underwear of mine has not gotten made yet and it's simply got to be done.

Mr. Savels has taken quite a bit of work off B. M. 's hands, so he is putting in most of his time at the printing office at present, and it needs him badly. So many books and pamphlets are to be printed in the native language. B. M. will likely try to get a job with some printers when he comes home in order to learn more about the business. That is, if

we are coming back to Congo.

Can you imagine my keeping a boarding house? Well, I certainly can't imagine ;myself doing such a thing, but since the mission put me there, I'll do my best. My biggest job will be planning the meals, and I'll take my own cook, likely, and keeping track of the linen and everything. The boys will do all the work. I shall also take Cisuaka with me as he

is my right hand boy. They say the house is mighty nice and everything is furnished. If it weren't so we could not go, for it would not pay us to pack up twice. There are electric lights and there may be a car down there when we arrive. This will not make us a day later than our furlough time. When the time comes, we will pull up and leave. This letter is too long again, but when I wait a long time to write, then I have lots to say.

I love you just as I always did, if not more so.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment