Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Congo (100) Luebo, Congo 6/3/1923 [DCS]

Luebo Sunday

June 3,1923

My own dearest homefolks:

Hasn't anything of any great interest happened around here lately, but to you, I never seem to run out of letter material. I'm hard at work in school again and time is certainly passing rapidly. Only five months until we leave for the pool. But I won't say any more on that subject now as I think and dream too much about it now for my own good. I suppose you are through school for this year and planning for summer holidays. It is almost your birthday and I don't know how old you are, now what do you think of me. I, too, am getting so ancient I forget whether I'm 22 or 23. Don't tell Nettie but I wish you would tell me when James was born, I know March 25, but the year?? My! I certainly am anxious to see that little rascal.

Mary is a back off her honeymoon, and seems to be mighty happy. If B. M. were as indifferent to me as he is to her already, I'd pretty near die. I guess I' m just spoiled, seems like I have always had someone to spoil me. I guess that's why I am so good-for-nothing. I never have been able to explain the statement you used to make so often, that married people had such a hard time. Unless I have been unusually fortunate. I even long for the one thing I dreaded so before I married, and can't have it.

I have been chumming with Susie Savels a lot since Rowena left. In fact, I'm trying to be close friends with too many and it's about to get me in trouble. One sees me going to another's house then they ask me Why I didn't come to see them, etc. In other words, I have too many strings to my bow! But it's mighty nice to have friends and I hope I can keep them so.

The Hobson's are out on the road again, I certainly don't envy them their work. I don't think I could stand the road a month at a time. It's mighty hard on her, too.

I have been playing my "Uke" quite a lot lately. We sit out on the porch and sing and play. And so often, I long for you to be there too. I'm trying to copy the words to all my songs, so I won't forget them, and it is also good practice for me on the typewriter. I'm hoping some day that B. M. will teach me. My organ is out of fix and so I haven't gotten to play much for a long time. I hear that there is a nice large organ at the pool.

I have been so well of late haven't gained much but just feel so well. My hardest thing out here is the sun. It just gets me so quickly if I'm not careful. The roof to the school shed is not good and I have to wear my helmet all morning when I teach. It's heavy and big and I get so tired of it.

By the next time you write you must address my letters to Kinshasa care of the Union Guest House. I hear that Mr. and Mrs. Martin were to sail in April, if so they will reach here this month, perhaps. I wonder what you will do about my things, send them by the Millers, I hope or by mail. We also hear that Lucille Wilds is in the hospital again. Dr. Kellersberger is either already at Mutoto, I mean Bibanaga, or nearly there if his plans have worked out.

Mrs. Washburn of Bulape is here now, she came to consult the doctor. She was with us at noon, and I like her very much.

Mrs. Stixrud gave a party for her little four year old girl yesterday. I do not like her parties they are too formal for a crowd of missionaries.

I read the best book this week and I certainly want you to try and get it. It's a story of a lady missionary, so I want you to read it and think of me. I read awhile and I cried awhile, I read awhile and I laughed awhile. The name of it is "The Lady of the Decoration" by Little. It's just so true and put in such an interesting way. You may have read it, I don't know.

B. M. is raring to go to bed so goodbye for this time.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment