Friday, September 25, 2009

Congo (96) Luebo, Congo 4/15/1923 [DCS]

"Luebo"

April 15, 1923

Dear Mother and Father:

The Lapsley is here, has been for several days. The Savels came on it and Mr. Savels is preparing to take over some of B. M. 's work. They have not decided what yet. Mrs. Savels is a very nice woman, though shocks us sometimes with some of the things she says. She is not of our nationality; therefore it is not her fault. We have gotten to be very good friends as she is one of my nearest neighbors and comes over to sew on my machine sometimes. Their little son is a "case" and shows the failing of nearly all of our missionaries of not making their children mind and behave in company.

Rowena has moved to Miss Black's house and Miss Black lives near me. I miss her so much for we were always together when she lived near, though she comes down often now and I also go to see her. I helped her move and get settled in her other house. Miss Black has asked me to help her in the home, (girls' home) but I'm afraid we can't work

together long for we have such different ideas. Rowena and I were together on everything. My main idea in helping her will be to translate for her as she understands practically no Baluba. That is the difficulty in sending missionaries out for the first time when they are up in year

I had a paper to read in our evangelistic meeting last week. It pretty near killed me, but some way I got thru. I must explain that I had to read only before the women. I did not get frightened near as I thought I would, but I just held in my mind that a lot of my audience were women I had taught in my class in school and had married evangelists and gone to the out stations, and that it was foolish for me to be afraid. Of course, there were other missionaries there but some of them were just as frightened as I was. I dread to face the Livingston people, for I am not going to try to make any speel before them. The only way I will be able to get anything over to them will be by conversation. We got such a nice letter from Mr. Davis yesterday and certainly did appreciate it. I am ashamed of myself for not writing to Miss Cassie more often. I have twelve letters to go off in this mail and I am so proud of myself I'm about to pop. One is to the Dorothy S. Aux. enclosing a cheque for about ten dollars. We wanted in some way to express our interest in the new church building. Please give Miss Cassie my love the next time you talk to her. I'm afraid I won't get a letter off to her in this mail.

There is to be a farewell "picnic" on Anderson's porch for the Clevelands tomorrow. My donation to the cause is rolls & candy. Tuesday the day following Rowena is to give a shower for Mary in the form of a clothes line. She is to be given an apron and basket and told to go get her washing off the line. I think I shall give her the apron and three pair of

white stockings from Mrs. G. W. as she needs them badly.

Mrs. Anderson, Dorothy, has another fine boy born on my birthday. Her other baby is such a sickly child and cannot walk yet. Hasn't been sitting up but three months. I want a baby to bring home, but I'd rather be like I am than to be in her fix. There is one thing to her advantage and that is that she is a strong girl.

We haven't had much success in printing our negatives yet, but it seems that we will be able to get some real good pictures. I thought something of sending all my plates home by Mrs. Cleveland, but I'm so afraid something will happen to them. There are not many of them very good but I'd certainly hate for them to get broken or spoiled. Now I

guess we will just take the best care we can of them and bring them when we come. I do wish I could get you a print of each, though, but there are lots of things we have to be patient for out here.

Well!!! a big change has come into our plans. Last evening at the Ad Interim Committee meeting they decided for us to go to Kinshasa to take charge of the "Union Rest House." We leave here the last of October and keep charge through Nov., Dec., Jan. I guess you remember my saying they were joking and saying we were going, but I don't believe they were in earnest; these men from the other stations brought in the idea. Was not at the meeting, but I'm glad I wasn't for I fear I would have said too much. I was very much opposed to going at first but have gotten reconciled somewhat and we will leave the last of Oct. or the first of Nov. This is going to make a split in my stay out here and possibly make it seem shorter, but the last three months are going to be very busy ones. I'll get B. M. to tell you as much about it as he can. The house and work we have to do.

Cisuaka was tickled to death with the picture you sent him. I don't think you can please a native better than to give him a picture. I wish you could have seen him when he got it. He stood there and exclaimed over it for about a half hour (more or less) and called all of the other boys around him to show it. He had already bought you a native musical

instrument with his own money and said this is for my "grandparents" in America. he had already done this before the picture, so he said tell you thank you and (life) many times. This is the native greeting. He also brought me another instrument just like yours for Hickman. He is to go to Kinsasa with me to help in the guest house, and I don't know what I would do without him. I shall also try to take my cook but don't know about that yet. Little Mayele (Cisuaka's son--B. M."s namesake) is the finest native child I've ever seen and they keep him so clean and nice. James must be a case. I still have my little monkey and must send him a picture of it soon.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment