Saturday, August 29, 2009

Congo (82) Luebo, Congo 9/1922 [DCS]

"Luebo" Sept. 1922

My dearest Homefolks:

"The Beautiful Package" that is the subject of this letter. I never was much of a hand to express my gratitude and thanks in "elegant" language, so I'm not going to try, but I must say this, that no one ever would know how good it makes you feel to get a package or even a little remembrance from your loved ones at home when you're this far away, until you have had the experience. And this was such an "elegant" package. I look at these things made by hand, which have taken so much time and work, and say to myself, well, I'm sure they still love me or they wouldn't do so much "just for me." It's not that you need to do these things in order that I may know--never--but I'm just like other folks, it's good to be reminded. Besides this token these things are going to be so useful for I need them badly. I don't believe you realize even know how much entertaining it is our "duty" to do out here. I have already initiated the porch set. Only got it yesterday morning and used it yesterday afternoon. There was a gentleman came to tea from across the river. He was leaving today and being associated with B. M. a good deal along business lines and also being a very nice man so far as nice men among the traders go, we felt that it was our duty to invite him. We have quite a lot of inviting along this line to do besides the missionaries. They always seem to enjoy themselves very much, for it seems that the social life over there isn't much. Being foreigners and believing so strongly in "class," there isn't much visiting among them. This man spoke English yesterday, so I got along very well, but with the banker who used to come real often, he spoke nothing but French, so I had to sit up and hold my hands, and try to look pretty. The greatest trouble about being nice to them, they want to come every week if you will let them. They don't seem to realize that missionaries have to work. I suppose you have had a taste of that out at home--but I have been entirely off the subject. That's always the way I do and I suppose the reason I use so much paper up and then haven't said anything.

Well, as I said I used my pretty new porch set, and first thing B. M. told him about its being new and just getting it that morning, etc., as men always do. I've heard daddy do it, so when he spilt some cream on it he blushed and was very much embarrassed, but he was an educated gentleman therefore thought everything so pretty. Men have to be educated to those things you know-women are born educated ??

The other table set is just simply beautiful, looks so lacy and pretty on the table and just fits exactly. How did you know how large to make it? I never saw pique made up that way before and it makes it so attractive. Everyone just raves over it. I was so glad to get the extra pieces to my morning glory set for I have needed them sometime's. You see the Club is three itself and we two, then if I happen to have some extra ...? But I never try to seat more than six at my table; it's too small. Twice I had seven, but was very crowded.

Can't tell you how glad we both were to get the picture of myself. I was hoping you would send it, but had no idea you would. You see, that picture is so much better looking than I ever was that it's good to have it to show and say "that's how I used to look," see. And everything out of the cedar chest was just like new to us for both of us were too interested in each other to appreciate everything just like we do now.

The little aprons and handkerchiefs are as dear as can be. Since Xmas is coming on and I haven't a thing to give anybody, they will certainly come in handy. I've got to rake up something to send Miss Setser and Mr. Shive; they have all their papers and her permission from her father, so everything is coming off during Mission meeting.

Please thank all who helped with the lovely package. I hope to write Aunt Nennie and Aunt Hon soon. Kiss yourself 1000 times for me.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment