Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Congo (94) Luebo, Congo 3/16/1923 [DCS]

"Luebo" 3:00 P. M.

March 16, 1923

Dear Mother, Daddy, & Aunt Nin:

My letters are coming a little more often, are they not? Well I just got repentant. Your letter of Jan. 7 just arrived. I was fast asleep when someone came and knocked at the door saying letter from America and believe me I was wide awake in a hurry.

Truly the months are taking the wings of the morning and flying away. I don't know where. Just about seven months until we will begin to get ready. Nov. & Dec. I will spend in preparing to leave. We are going to ask to leave in January, I think, so will not know for sure until after the October mission meeting. We have two reasons for wanting to start then. One is that there will be such a crowd to leave in Feb. and traveling on the river steamers even on the Lapsley is not very pleasant when there are so many. The men would have to sleep on deck and it's not pleasant on the cool nights in Africa and if it rains, they have to get up and sit up. The other reason is that if B. M. comes back out here he wants to learn as much as possible about printing and there is an office down river that is very fine for the Congo and B. M. wants to see it in order that he can order better equipment for his office. This would mean that we would leave on the big boat with the others just the same. But being on the way would make me feel better next morning. Was interrupted here by Mary. She had heard that her papers were on the way and that Mr. Morrison's papers were here so of course she was most excited to death. She has all her clothes ready and just finished her wedding dress yesterday. It is beautiful. The wedding will be in the church shed at night if possible. Georgia will be brides maid and Mr. Craig best man. I think Mrs. McKinnon and Rowena are to sing a song. Mr. Bedinger is the preacher and I play the march. I begged her to get someone else besides me but she wouldn't hear to it so I guess I'll have to make a mess of myself and everything. Of course, I will try not to.

You spoke of my being willing to attempt big things, well, the school work must have broken me, and I'm afraid you will have a bad opinion of me when I tell you that the girls' home has been offered to me twice since last October and I have refused it. But there are many things on my side. I couldn't go into details or I'd never get through. Miss Black took the job and exchanged houses with the Hobsons. One of our biggest reasons was that B. M. was afraid I could not stand it and wants me to come home in as good health as when I left. I would only have about six months at the most missing my trip to Mutoto and Bibanga which is a Mission ruling that everyone should make a tour of all the stations during their first term, and Miss Black has somewhere about a year and a half. Of course peoples idea is that she cannot hold down the job, but she came out for that very kind of work and I say she should have a try or how are they to know whether to send her back or not. She has also finished four months of language and there is no way to learn it better than being where you have to speak it. O! but I'm full of the subject, but I'm almost sorry I started it as it's hard to tell it in such a way that one may understand in a letter. Some of these days before so very long I'm hoping we can have some good long talks and understand everything.

No, that picture is not one of B. M.'s girls. We think now that it must have gotten mixed in with our films at the printers.

Dorothy Anderson expects her second baby next month.

Georgia and Mary are coming Sat. to spend about two weeks with me while Rowena and Miss Black are moving then they stay with Miss Black. You see they're having to move also in order to let the Savals have their house. Mary will marry the first of May, I think.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment