Friday, October 23, 2009

Congo (109) Luebo, Congo 9/19/1923 [DCS]

Luebo

September 19, 1923

Dear Mater & Pater:

I mailed a letter to you today, but since I have been so bad about writing I must make up for lost time. There are several letters I must read over and answer, so I'll do that first

You certainly must be getting "sproosy" to roll up your hair to go to Livingston, however you are going to have to go some to beat me "spoosing up" when I get home.

B. M. 's always getting after me for primping, but that's all right. He wouldn't have me if I didn't, I mean he wouldn't like me nearly so well.

In a letter from Bess Parks, my next door neighbor at T. P. C., she spoke of meeting Daddy in Kerrville and certainly did speak highly of him. I hope Daddy remembers her for she is such a fine girl. She went to school at Oklahoma Presbyterian College last year and her mother was matron. I wonder if that could be the school to which Lizzy and Elvina went. I’m going to ask if she knew them when I write to her. She goes back to T. P. C. next year.

You told me about the Indians from Louisiana coming to Pinckney. I wondered if Sarah was coming, too.

I don't think you ought to worry about the mail any more, or that is about it getting lost or opened, for I believe everything is O.K. now. They have no more interest in me.

My dear mother! don't you worry yourself about curios. I'm going to get all I can and have room to take. The very idea of sending money to me for curios ! ! ! That sounds awful to me and don't you know that I could not use any money that you would send. I haven't seen an American dollar since I left England. Or rather since I reached England. I am not going to be able to get things for everyone who wants them.

I do not find many questions to answer, so I'll stop until tomorrow as it's getting late.

Love. Dot.

Dear Folks:

I'm trying to finish this and send it off, in order that it won't be such a long time between letters again.

Now for a talk about coming home, this is always a pleasant subject to me, and one I think of most too often for my good. I want to try to explain about the Terrell Proposition. B.M. and I talked it over a long time ago and we decided that that would be the nearest place, as Pinckney was so hard to get to and too we could see more people that way. I had always said I'd rather go straight to our home but felt that this probably was the best solution and Lucile said she would be able to meet me in Terrell. We of course should have consulted with you before we wrote anybody and now since I know what you prefer I too am going to gratify my wish and come home. I shall write to Lucile that want her to come out home and see us, and if she is anxious enough she will come. This business of not being able to come out to Pinckney is all ''Tom foolery." B. M. certainly showed us that where there's a will there's a way and especially since we have a car and fairly good roads. Of course, it's possible that her husband would not let her come, but then I'll be going to Terrell later. So if I don't hear otherwise I'm coming straight home from New York. I want to say here also that please do not be excited or frightened or uneasy if you hear that you have a telegram from us in Livingston, for the minute we land in New York we are going to send a telegram to Mr. Davis to be sent to you by phone if possible or mailed to you letting you know we are again in the States.

We thought of something that will keep us from having to leave home again soon after we arrive, that is that naturally Mrs. Egert (Miss Ida, B. M.'s sister) is going to want and expect to see us soon after we arrive, therefore we thought of inviting her to come out to see us, if this meets with your approval. I think it would be nice for you to invite her. I believe she will appreciate it and B. M. thinks she will come. I hope you don't feel that I'm trying to bring everyone out home to work you to death, but I believe I can help you out with our company more than I used to.

I came across some old negatives last night that I thought I sent home long time ago. I hope they are not ruined or won't be before they get there. They are pictures of our trip out. I'll send them to you, and if you will take good care of them, please. Love to the whole family. It's not so long till I start home.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment