Thursday, October 1, 2009

Congo (102) Luebo, Congo 6/10/1923 [DCS]

Luebo Sunday

June 10, 1923

Dear homefolks and all:

I have a letter ready to go to you now, but since your three letters day before yesterday I just must write again. You can never guess how I enjoyed those last three letters of yours. They were just so much like my own dear mother. Now I know that she hasn't changed very much as Dr Stix said you would for he certainly did say so and meant it.

As usual, B.M. and I were talking about you folks today and were planning lots of things for when we come home. I think about it so often I fear it's going to make time go slower but I can't help it. The main thing we talked about today was fixing so people could come out to see us. B.M. and I are going to sleep on the porch. Rowena and Kemp

may come out for a day or two and B.M. wants his sister to come visit us. Then there are Hickman and Nettie whom I hope will come. That reminds me, we got a letter from Hickman in the last mail. You could have knocked me over with a feather. And a great big fat letter from Carrol and a nice package from him. We got two packages in this mail, his and one from Montgomery Ward. Everything we needed badly and oh! it's so good to get packages out here. The one from Carrol came with the letter; wasn't that fine time. I don't think you need fear at all to send packages if you get him to mail them. Everything comes in fine shape. Mr. Reeves and I were real good friends, especially the younger Reeves.

Yes. I knew all about Ernest's affair, but was more than surprised to hear about Carrie's marriage. The things that he (Mr. Reeves) sent were certainly nice and we shall write and thank him. Don’t say anything whatever you do, but if B.M. and I come back, he is going to try to get in with Mr. Reeves in order to learn more about printing. I mean he may do that. That would mean that we could stay around our kinfolks instead of going to some city.

The dresses you are making for me will certainly be welcomed as all my clothes are wearing out fast. I threw three away last week, and I think I'll throw two more this week, for I have worn them too long already. Really I can get along very well as I have plenty of Sunday dresses and I am going to wear them more often; then all the dresses you sent me

are still pretty and since getting those two skirts from Mrs. McKinnon (Eva) as I call her and the blouses you made and had made for me, there is no reason why I can't keep clean and looking nice. B.M. likes middies and skirts on me. He did not realize it was the person who wore them that counted. Well, you know middies can be worn in such a way that they look very slouchy, and so long as I'm not slouchy he does not mind. The only dresses that he does not like are that dress Mrs. Josey made for me, blue gingham, and my aprons that hang every which way at the bottom and I have discarded all of those except one or two aprons for use in picture developing. The stains of that medicine are terrible. The dress is nearly all holes. I'm glad my clothes are wearing out because then I won't have to carry them home. Just so I get enough to go home in. I'm washing my organdy (white) today for the first time (Mon.). Certainly hope it will turn out nicely and I still use it as one of my party dresses. The white dress I got in England I save for parties and also the white linen with grosgrain ribbon.

This letter has certainly been written by pieces. I wrote Sun., yesterday before school, and it's only a little while until school time now. I intended to write yesterday again, but we had a called women's meeting and I found out that Mary was sick so I had to go over there for a minute and I had Mr. Hilllhouse and Craig for supper last night so everything

together took all my time. That is a sample of the way our time is spent. Sometimes I could shut myself up in my house and not have to go anywhere or have anyone come to see me. But I guess I am just selfish. However, I’ll have to acknowledge I had rather be as I am now than when I first got here, didn't visit with anyone much except Sarah and that

was a one-sided affair. I did hate to entertain when I first got out here. So much for that. I must answer your letter now. But first, do you think the Livingston people are very out with me for not writing? I haven't written to any of them for ages. Just can't seem to get fixed to write to anyone but you folks.

Dr. Kelly must have been to Houston just before he left for the field for before your letter got to me we had heard that Dr. was at Bibanga. We are so thankful for his arrival because if he had not come Dr. Stixrud would have been the only Dr. on the whole mission. That's one good thing about Luebo. We are never without either a Dr. or a nurse. It's not very pleasant I should imagine to feel yourself entirely without medical help and can't get any under three days motorcycle.

What ever you decide about my clothes will be perfectly all O.K. with me. I am afraid what I would have to say would mislead you. The black velvet sounds mighty nice and especially nice for traveling as I don't have any way to keep clothes pressed and you know my failing. I could wear a dress like that after I got home, too. No, I don't think you need to worry about getting it too dressed for the boat. People dress in evening dresses every evening, especially on the big boat between England and America. I like the black velvet best, I think, but be sure you put plenty of bright colors for I don't want to look like I'm in "mourning". Far from it! Mrs. McKinnon has a beautiful corduroy kimono that slips on over the head and she gets lots of good out of it even out here.

It's made like this. I never was a good drawer, but I wanted to give the effect of square sleeves for a piece, then get narrower and ribbon (black) at waist and around neck.

We hear different things about the Martin's return so we have no idea when they will return. You probably will not be able to send my going home things by them. Don't send any more lace. I have plenty now. I am wearing the shoes you sent me. B.M. put them in the stretchers up at the Industrial School and they do not hurt only when I wear them long at

a time. Everyone brags on them and they are beautiful.

My hair came out badly after I had influenza, but has stopped now. I am taking better care of it than I ever have by myself. My only trouble now is that I have dandruff, but I believe even that is better at present. If you know of any cure for it, please tell me. I may be able to get it in England or Antwerp. I don't think this climate has any bad effect on hair if it's cared for.

I have not gone on about B.M. for knowing me as you do, I was afraid you would think something was wrong and I was trying to smooth it over. B.M. and I have our little ups and downs as every two people have. I am not with you in the belief that love means we have no fusses. Every two people are different and there are bound to be disagreements.

Take you and I for example. We loved each other, you know. Still I never fussed with anyone as I did with you sometimes. I can't do that subject justice on paper, so the rest will have to wait until I get home. You always threw Aunt Hon up to me when that subject came up. No one knew what went on behind the curtains. She is the kind to keep

things of that kind hid. I am the kind to fight it out then and there. I see you throwing up your hands in horror, the same as you did one time when I said I thought the larger percent of the girls at home were not straight, and I have found out later how really true that statement was.

I cannot imagine myself ashamed of my own mother, can you? My only hope is that you will be able to go around with me when we get home. You misunderstood about that you will be able to go around with me when we get home. You misunderstood about the milk someway. I suppose you are talking about the canned milk I had to drink in order to gain weight. We don't even have goats any more to milk. I don't know whether B. M. likes milk or not. I've not seen him tried on good rich milk yet, but I suppose he does. There are very few things that he does not eat. Now if you had been asking me, well!!!

What's the matter with everyone at Kiam and Pinkney? They are getting so high ''fuluting'' and buying cars.

I have written cousin Anne Sampson but the one I would be ashamed to face is Miss Chapman. She sent all those nice pictures that meant so much to me and not one word have I written her. When I do write, I'll enclose it in your letter for I don't know her address.

I believe I have told everything I know. The Bankers across the river are to come over for tea. So I'll be busy all morning preparing for them.

Lots of love to all, especially yourselves and Aunt Nennie.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment