Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Congo (106) Luebo, Congo 7/4/1923 [DCS]

Luebo, July 4, 1923

Dear homefolks:

I finished a letter on clothes, so decided to start another. Susie Savels has been very ill with "Black Water Fever." It seems that she just won't take quinine. She is a lot like a child in lots of ways, and that is one thing she is like a child about. Neither B. M. or myself have had any hard fevers since we have been here and I believe, in fact I know, it is because we take our quinine regularly.

We want to go to the Mission meeting at Mutoto in October, but I don't know whether I'll get finished packing to leave for the pool the first of November or not. I am real anxious to see Mototo station.

So glad to hear of the railroad to Chambers' Crossing. Seems that the railroad helps in so many ways. Won't you expect to get your supplies from Camden again?

It is both Rowena's and Georgia's birthday, or rather yesterday was Rowena's and tomorrow is Georgia's, so we have been celebrating lately. Dorothy Anderson and I got up a trip to the falls and a picnic supper at her house. We had lots of fun at the falls, all the ladies went in wading. Doesn't that sound terrible for missionaries, but after all, they are human. The party consisted of Andersons, Morrisons, Hobsons, The Club (Miss Black, Georgia, the men didn't go.) and a visiting lady from one of the other missions. The other members of our station never go on outings of this kind on account of their children, etc. Some think they are too old, others are sick. Mrs. Savels has been having a terrible time, had fever between a hundred and five & three for two days and has tonsillitis and an abscess in her throat, which the doctor had to lance. Dr. thinks most, if not all, her trouble has been brought on by not taking care of herself. She never will follow the Dr's orders no matter how sick she is and someone either Mrs. Stix or Mary have to be with her nearly all the time in order to make her take her medicine. Mrs. Stix says she believes Susie wants to die. You used to call me "babyish" but I never was as babyish as she is. A grown woman with two children, can you imagine!!! Of course we are all sorry for her and do everything we can for her but it's hard to have patience with a person who won’t try to help themselves. Here is a sample. She came up to my house to print pictures with me, with fever 101 --one hundred and one--and did not tell me at all until she got ready to go home, then she said, "I have a little fever, Dorothy, but don't tell Dr. or my husband. They will make me go to bed." Certainly she is tired of her bed after three weeks, but anyone should have sense enough to take care of themselves after "Black Water Fever."

Now I was telling you about our parties but got off on Susie, but she is so much on our minds lately, we never know whether she is going to die or live. Rowena had a supper last night (her birthday). Anderson's, Georgia, the visiting lady & Schlotters were invited. We had a nice supper and stunts after dinner. I played "Jesus Lover of My Soul" with my nose. Others sang, recited, etc.

We are at last getting some good pictures, and I want to enclose four in this letter. One of our house--it's even better than Dr. Smith's, I think, another of B. M. and me on the porch steps, and another of me on my porch. Also me in my hammock. We think they are all fine. I am not especially plain on the porch, but the main thing was the porch in that

picture. I have on the dress Mrs. McKinnon gave me. This is where I sit and play my uke and long for you lots of evenings.

With lots of love to mother & daddy. Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment