Monday, October 19, 2009

Congo (104) Luebo, Congo 6/25/1923 [DCS]

Luebo Monday

June 25, 1923

Dear homefolks:

The mail came in yesterday bringing two letters from you. The mail was given out after English service at about six o'clock. My letters had gotten separated someway and for a few minutes I thought I hadn't gotten any and I was getting ready to go home and have a big cry when Susie called and said, "Dot", that's what everyone calls me here, "here is

your mail." It was left behind and then I clapped my hands for joy. We got another letter from Carroll enclosing correspondence about some photocopying paper we ordered. He had a mighty hard time getting it for us and we would not have ordered it from him had we known it would put him to so much trouble. But it will mean so much to us when we get it, as we are trying to get some good pictures these days. It's possible we can send you some good pictures when we reach the pool (Kinshasa). If not we will have to wait until we get home. That's one trouble about plate negatives--they can't be sent through the mail very well.

Please don't have anyone expecting curios for they are few and very hard to get. Nice ones are, I mean. The native is a very lazy person and if he ever gets up enough energy to make himself something nice, he does not care to give it up. Cisuaka is a good hand at getting things for me and he has gotten or helped to get most everything I have. I shall give some presents in curios but no quantity to anyone.

I'm just home from school 1:30 and I'm so tired. It gets to be more of a mystery every day I live how you used to go to school at 8:00 and not come home until 4:00 day in and day out six months in the year. However that is I'm working harder than I ever did in my life and am happy as can be. I never will believe married life is as bad as you used to say

it was, that is if you get the right man.

I have six cute little girls in my class from the age of about seven to twelve. My class is small this term because that is what I asked for. I thought it would be better to have a few and teach them well than have ten or fifteen as I did before and not have enough time for each one. B. M. and I are going over in the fence this afternoon to take their pictures.

I have had to begin and begin again until I'm tired of it. Shall continue in another letter.

Love to all,

Dorothy

P. S. We always speak of Kinshasa as the "Pool," it being on "Stanley Pool."

No comments:

Post a Comment