Thursday, October 22, 2009

Congo (108) Luebo, Congo 8/5/1923 [DCS]

Luebo

August 5, 1923

(I would suggest that you read BM's letter first).

My own dear homefolks:

It's been a long time since I wrote you last and much has happened since then too. I'm leaving it up to B. M. to tell you about everything because he can tell you in a short length of time and it would take me ages. We have been working hard getting the Vinsons and the Stixruds away. Georgia, Rowena, and I made seven dresses and a kimono last week for the two ladies. Don't you think that was doing well?

We are going to be somewhat lonesome for a while now as Georgia and Miss Black are leaving for the lake at Bulape tomorrow on top of all these other folks leaving. This is vacation month in the schools and they are going away for a good rest up.

I will not be able to think of hardly anything for the next six months but "going home." But especially the next three months will be spent in plans and packing. Then after I get to Kinshasa I'll go to work again for about two months and a half.

I won't have much getting ready of clothes to do I had expected to have for I have been very fortunate along those lines. I hope you get this letter before you get my going home clothes for I don't need everything I asked for now. But if you have already gotten them send them on if you are sure of their getting here in time. You see, unless Mr. Martin comes and will bring it you ought really to send it by mail to Kinshasa for if you sent it by the Millers they would have to go clear to Mutoto to get their trunk, unpack, and then send my things to Kinshasa. They are not due here until about Jan., I don't think, and that would be too late. I have heard that Mr. Martin has all the packages already that he can bring, for he has already turned down several for other people. So if you are afraid to send them by mail and if there is no other way just keep them until I come for I believe I can get along without them.

My only trouble has been heavy clothes, but I got a pretty velvet dress from Susie's things for a little less than six dollars and I believe it is just about what you thought of getting for me. It is trimmed in red and the only trouble is that it is a little short, but Mrs. McKinnon says I can fix it. It was such a bargain I could not resist the temptation. Then as I have told you before, Mrs. Mc is out growing her clothes and I am gradually falling "air" to them. She gave me a dark voile yesterday. With just a little taking up in the band, I can wear it all right. I haven't tried it on since I have pressed it so I don't know just how becoming it is. I think Mrs. Mc has the prettiest clothes of anyone on the station" 'sept me," but unfortunately it isn't my fault they are pretty. Then I believe I asked you in one of my last letters to get me some flannelet night gowns, but I have gotten two of Susie's. Mr. Savel is selling her clothes or as many as he can and I also got three pair of teds and three princess slips which will help me very much. You see it seems so uncertain about my getting my things from home. I'd rather get both than have to go home without anything. The only thing I can think of that I might need would be a sport suit or a heavy woolen dress. Not both.

B. M.'s birthday just passed the 2nd. We had a nice dinner party and birthday cake up at Dot Anderson's. The invited guests were Stixruds, Mrs. Allen & Mr. Savels, and the Schlotters. Mrs. Allen came down for a few days from Bulape to get some teeth fixed before Dr. leaves. I also had one tooth filled the other day. My teeth seem to be in good condition now. Mrs. Allen is certainly a sweet little woman.

I'm going to close now or I may not get this off. I'll try to do better next time. I love you both, and please don't worry about us or anything cause I want you to be well and strong when I get home. If you could only know how anxious I am to see you all.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment