Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Congo (60) Luebo, Congo 1/3/1922 [DCS]

Luebo, January 3, 1922

Dear Mother, Father, and Aunt Nennie:

We got mail at about 9:30 last evening, the first we have had for a long time, and this was only a scrap mail, I think. We are expecting a big mail on the Lapsley which is expected in two or three days, possibly tomorrow. It came from Lusambo to Basongo about three days run from here to get the Smith and Stixrud party.

I got more mail than anybody last night, or rather we did, and that's unusual as I don't get very many letters generally. I got one letter from you, the one with the clippings about the Dorothy S. [?] and the one from China. I also got a letter from Aunt Sarah, a very sweet letter which I must answer soon. I have wanted to write to her several times but did not know just how to address the letter. She says she is going to send me their little paper. And I got two Christmas cards and B. M. got a letter.

Well the club is here and I'm trying to teach and clean rooms for the expected party, too. I haven't been to school for the past two days for I had to fix rooms; it's just like it is at home. There is plenty of help but so very slow. Cisuana works hard and generally very well, but so very slow on some things. Yesterday we washed window frames, door base board and floor and windows, three of a room, (my back room) where I am going to put Miss Porter, and besides I made curtains for those three windows, not curtains hemmed at both ends but a two inch hem all around. Then we made up the bed and arranged everything. We stopped work at about 11:30 and began again at 3:00. When I think about it, that's not so much time for the amount of work we did.

Today I have fixed up Sarah's back room for Mr. and Mrs. Anderson. Anderson of Lusambo is bringing the Lapsley as Mrs. Daumery is expecting a baby soon and he is afraid to leave. But in this room I only swept, dusted, and made up the bed. It took much longer to do this than you would think, though, as it was so dirty.

I got my package this afternoon, and everything was very nice, but I am trespassing on B. M's ground as I told him he might write about that.

I guess you think I'm a mighty sorry teacher to stop to prepare rooms, but it's too hot in the afternoons, and I can't leave it to the boys. There are always some teachers you can call on as substitutes, and so you don't feel like you are letting everything go to rack as when they have no one.

I was getting started very well in school now, but the first few days I had a time. My pupils are women and girls and everyone acknowledges that women are harder to teach than men. They are hard to keep quiet and don't learn so well, either. I have administered three slaps since I've been up there, which is very hard for me to do, but if I didn't they would never know they had to mind me.

I'm enjoying the piano so much, don't have much time to practice now, if I had had it last month, I would have gotten in a good deal of good work, but now!!! The club seem to love to hear me play, but I’m so out of practice I can only play a few pieces. I don't mind playing before company near as much as I used to, but I suppose it's because they are so much like homefolks.

It's 9:00, our bed time, so as we got in late last night, must say good-night.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment