Friday, April 10, 2009

Congo (49) Luebo, Congo 10/27/1921 [DCS]

Luebo October 27, 1921

My dearest homefolks:

This is a dreary, rainy evening, B. M. and I had planned to go to visit some of the people we work with on Sundays, but it looks like it will continue to rain all evening. I love to go to the village, for each time I see something new, and they always seem so pleased to see us. I never go alone, not that I'm afraid to, but I don't know just why; one reason is that I don't know the language very well. The other women go alone but I never have.

We are invited to Miss Larsons's for supper this evening, then after supper play forty-two. There are several of us who enjoy forty-two out here, and we play right often. Rook also has a high place in our evenings entertainments.

Mrs. Vinson has asked me to take "my" organ up to the school shed and play for the children to sing every Friday morning. They always have something extra on Friday morning from 9:00 to 9:30. The children go through the village with a drum in front, calling in the people to enjoy it also. They have had a victrola for some time, but they are tired of that now. Of course they get tired because they can't understand, and just like the Indians they enjoy a laughing piece. I am also teaching Mrs. Vinson's Sunday School class some songs. I suspect when my music comes I'll start Sankie on music lessons. She is a right smart child, but spoiled as any child would be to live with the natives and boss them as she does.

Nov. 1, 7:30 P. M.

Mrs. Stegall had a Halloween party last evening and it certainly was nice. She had the whole station over for supper, and served ham, potato salad, plantain chips (much liked potato chips), pickles, olives, sandwiches, gelatine, & cakes for desert and candy last. Also coffee, but I didn't take any of that, so I forgot. You said I'd start to drinking coffee after I came out here but I haven't yet. Well, we all dressed up in sheets and tried to keep people from knowing us as long as we could. After we got there, Mrs. Stegall asked all who wanted their fortunes told to come with her, so she took us to where she had fixed a little room in the side of the porch; here she told our fortunes with the victrola that had a yellow record with numbers on it. You stood in front of her, or rather the victrola, and she let the thing run a while then she stopped it and the number in front was your number. This is the fortune I drew that I'm sending. I am going to send the invitation and place cards, and also an invitation to another party she had not long ago that I think is cute. I know you are always interested in such things. After our fortunes we went to supper and after we finished, while we were still sitting around the table the different parts of a ghost were passed around; among them was the phantom and like we had that time. By the time all this was over and we went on the porch, it was 9:00 o'clock, time for all Luebo missionaries to go to bed.

I am sending you a few little things I thought you might be interested in. Among them are two pictures B. M. and I developed and printed. Our paper is not good is the reason they look so bad. We should have brought it out in sealed tins. There is supposed to be another table boy in the picture of our boys, but some way he failed to get in.

It's almost time for the mail to leave, so goodbye.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment