Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Congo (59) Luebo, Congo 12/25/1921 [DCS]

Letter No. 20

Luebo, Belgian Congo, Dec. 25, 1921

Dearest homefolks:

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you all.

I guess you wonder what we do for Christmas way out here, where you can't go to town to buy things to give. Well, if you had seen the beautiful porch swing that Stegall made in the Industrial School and had put on my porch before I got up this morning, part of the question would be settled at least. He knew how I liked a swing and how I wanted one so he sent it under Sankie's name to her teacher. I certainly am proud of it. Sankie also gave an ivory bracelet made by Stegall's boys in the school.

I thought we decided not to give presents to each other in the Station Meeting the other night, and I was so glad, as I did not bring out a thing in the way of presents. You know I had all I could do to get myself ready to come out here, but things have been coming in all morning. It almost makes me sick to get things and not have anything to give in return, but there is not one of them that I did not tell that I was not going to give presents. I guess I could have made them, as some of the rest have done, but I have had all I could do entertaining "mission meeting" people. You should have seen the nice little Animals Mrs. Cleveland made for the children on the station. She is an artist along sewing lines, in fact she is good along most all lines--reminds me of my mother in that respect. Both the Stegalls and the Clevelands had Christmas trees for their children out of a kind of tree that looks a whole lot like our holly, only the leaves are smooth and it has flowers instead of berries.

We (the station) got to enjoy the Stegall's tree last night. We had a course dinner, furnished by all the ladies, and afterward some musical selections, a talk on Christmas, by Mr. Martin, and a reading by Mr. Gillian. It seems to me that perhaps you and I read that story together, I know I had read it before--where the colored valet of George Staunton tells of two Christmases. One where George met Miss Charlotte, and he also met the girl, Miss Charlotte's maid, that he afterward married. The next Christmas, George has broken up with Charlotte. He is invited to a Christmas entertainment, but does not know Charlotte is going to be there. When he sees her, he leaves the place of amusement, swims a swollen river, where he nearly loses his life. During his sickness, he is always trying to get across that river again to see Nancy and can't. On the last day of his illness, he tells Edinbourer he is going to try to get across for the last time. Charlotte comes in about that time and he's across. I did not mean to tell the whole story when I started, but wanted you to know what it was. I find B.M. has told you about all of the entertainment, so I will only add that we had a fine time. I furnished a duck, pickles, olives, and a piece of chocolate candy to go in each stocking. (Understand the duck did not go in the stocking!!) I also helped prepare the salad, stockings, and popcorn balls for the stockings. Mrs. Cleveland, Wilds, and I did this.

I never did tell you about the other I things I got. Mrs. Wilds sent me a little apron, and so did the Whartons and Vinsons. They also sent a sack of candy. Mrs. Larson sent a can of plum pudding. But I have saved the best til last, at least it is the thing I needed most--some nice linen napkins, one dozen of them. I guess you wonder why I need napkins so badly, but you see, the ones Aunt Hon and Aunt Nennie gave me are rather small for dinner use. They are for tea, and as we have lots of teas out here, when we entertain State people especially, I want to save them for that purpose. They are very pretty since I have the crochet around them. I have only made six as yet. I am going to get me some cheap cloth and make us enough napkins so that we may have a clean one every day.

You need not be afraid we will lose our manners as there is no one who believes in manners more than B.M. does, and oh well! it's just too easy to be good mannered in the Congo, I mean as far as table manners are concerned.

You should have seen me Christmas evening at the English service; I had on my white organdy and my little white cap, my white pumps, and my! I did look swell. B.M. still does not like the white cap, so this is the second time I have worn it since I've been out here, and it was the first time for my organdy in the daylight, but I have worn it several times, about four, at night.

I am practicing up on some of my pieces, it seems the "Shepherd's Evening Song" is the hardest to play now, but I'll get it up all right again. The piano is not so bad as I had expected, and I have not forgotten quite as much as I thought. You see, practicing on the organ has helped me a great deal. As I have said before, when Mr. Martin and Mrs. Cleveland leave, I'll be the only one to play, so I may ask to have the piano moved down there. B.M. does not seem to approve very much as there is not really any place to put it, but I would like to have it close, but have not mentioned it to anyone else.

I suppose you think that we will not get the package sent from Terrell as we got Carroll's letter and did not get the things, but packages did not come in the last mail at all. They do not come every time, but we hope they will come in the next mail. I'm so afraid you worked too hard on my dresses. I never thought of your sending so many. You have always been too good to me, and I know it. This will be enough clothes to last me until I come home. I'm still wearing my pink jacket, and the last time I wore it, I got two compliments on it. Those princess slips certainly will come in fine. I've been planning to make me some as my old ones are in rags nearly. Washed my nice kimono the other day. It did not take the washing very well, several holes came in it, but I can mend them fine, and it is still beautiful. I have always been sorry I took your kimono. It's a shame absolutely. I believe you would have let me have the house if I could have brought it! !! I know you needed it so badly. Thanks, Daddy, for your letter, we both enjoyed it.

I must begin to cut down on this letter. I always feel that I have left out something that I wanted to tell you. I can write you long letters, but when it comes to other people, I fall down.

Love,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment