Sunday, April 5, 2009

Congo (44) Luebo, Congo 9/19/1921 [DCS]

"Luebo"

Monday, Sept. 19, 1921

Dearest homefolks:

I know I haven't been writing as often as I should, or as often as I hope you are writing, for I am expecting at least three letters from you in the mail that we have heard is to come in this afternoon, and oh! I'll be so disappointed if it does not come. B.M. says I do not deserve any mail at all the way I've neglected my correspondence, but Mother I have been busy this last month. Have had two boarders and last Sat. in came my third, Mr. Craig, who has been visiting the out stations. You can feed two more people on just a little more than we cook for just we two, but I tell you three more certainly makes a difference. Mr. Craig is a hearty eater, in fact, all of us are that. Mr. Craig is the most interesting of the three men and I would not have missed having him for part of the time anyway. I have gotten on much better than I had expected with the club, but I can fix the things we have as many different ways as the others can. Mother, can you picture me in a home of my own boarding three men besides my own man? It's hard for me to believe it yet.

I don't know whether I told you or not, but we are sure we are going to get our own cedar chest and box of books before long. Excuse me if I've told you before, but I'm so glad I can't help but tell it. There is cargo coming up from the river this morning. The boat came in Sat. evening. We have two boxes to come, but I think it's some more of our "chop" from England.

[Signed "Emma" and written on the side of the letter: "poor little girl. The cedar chest turned out to be a honey extractor for Mr.Stegall and sent to N. Y. for B.M. to take out. Mr. Bedinger called for two boxes, and the cedar chest containing Dorothy's hold linens was left in N.Y. I have just had it shipped back to me and am sending a package from it by other missionaries this month"]

Thurs. 7:30 We got some good mail this time so B.M. and I are going to sit up answering them tonight. The mail leaves tomorrow morning. We are sitting around our dining room table; he is writing to you on the typewriter now. Our two table boys are washing the dishes out on the porch. They are singing one of our religious songs that has been translated into their language, what time they are not laughing and talking. They always seem so happy. The club left early tonight as they are all going to write letters to mail tomorrow. This is a very busy night on the station. Every time we get the mail, I wish that I had kept up better with my correspondence. We could have so many more friends, and everyone seems so interested in us.

I feel you are wholly to blame for such great interest around home. I hope you don't feel hurt at what we have said about showing our letters, but you know that there are things out here that should not be told that you would not think was any harm. Mother, you know I have the greatest confidence in you, but I know I make mistakes, and if I had to write a letter to you that I wouldn't care for others to read I could not write them as long. You know too.....

[one page omitted]

.. .I have thought several times about writing to her, but wasn't quite sure of how to address her and was ashamed for them to know it.

We got four letters and two cards from you yesterday. Oh! it just seemed so long and I was so anxious to hear how you were getting along. I got them during the time for our noon rest, and B.M. was gone to work so I got to cry all wanted to, not that the news was bad, for I was glad to know you were better and back home. Well, I guess it was because I was so glad. I'd read awhile and cry a while. If I cry too much around B.M. he thinks I'm not happy out here with him, but I am. I just get homesick sometimes. There is no reason why I should not be happy out here. I'm always well, I don't have very hard work, but best of all, I have a kind, good husband.

Father, I was certainly interested in the pictures taken at Marlin, but Mother, I just think it's a shame you weren't in it. Papa looks so lonesome there alone. It looks like the place you had just left. It actually made me feel like when I look at that picture that I almost got to see Mother and something happened that I didn't. Didn't it even come to your mind that I'd be looking for you in that picture?

Mr. Martin had already gotten the news of his brother's and of his aunt's death. It was his best loved brother.

While I think about it. I wish you wouldn't call me Dot. It does not seem natural. I don't mind B.M. calling me that, in fact, I expect it from him, but I think Dorothy is much prettier and I want people to call me that.

I'm certainly sorry about Hickman's arm, but I hope it is alright by this time. Wish I could see James. His picture stands on my bookcase all the time in a frame I got in England, also Ruth Leggett's.

Of course it would be nice to get some new dresses, but I surely hope you don't work on them when you're feeling bad. I'm afraid you haven't time to make me dresses anyway. As for sending them by mail is concerned, the mail service is pretty good now, don't many things get lost. Make a list of the things you send and put it in a letter.

B.M. thinks there must be some mistake about the Eggerts moving away from Cameron. Says he won't believe it until she writes it herself. We heard from her just last mail. He does not remember Judge Cox.

Thank you, Papa, for your letter.

It's getting late, so goodnight. I love you both always.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment