Saturday, August 29, 2009

Congo (74) Luebo, Congo 5/10/1922 [DCS]

Luebo, Africa

May 10, 1922

Dear homefolks:

This has been a very eventful day in a way as Dr. Smith left for America after three days stay with us after his stay at Bulape. You remember I suppose that Bulape is only two days from Luebo. That was his last station to visit. He is trying to catch the June Belgian boat, and I think he has plenty of time. That will put him at home in August or September. He and Mr. Rochester, one of our colored Missionaries at Motato, are going home at the same time. Dr. Smith got your names from me the other day and he is going to write to you about his trip out here & I suppose tell you what bad children you have in the Congo. He took breakfast with us this morning. My table looked so nice, I had on the table set you made for me with the blue morning glories. It certainly did look pretty.

May 28--There is quite a lapse of time between this and the last time I wrote. I'm sorry but it just seems like we don't find time to write letters. I made great plans how I [was] going to write every one I owe letters to but never get it done. then when I make such a resolution I generally am awful late writing to you and I just look forward to the coming of your letters so much.

Miss Larson came down from Bulape on her way to Bibanga for the nurses conference, which by the last mission meeting is to meet once a year. I think the chief object of this meeting is to get the young ladies together and it was acted on along with the question "how" to attract single ladies to our Congo Mission field. This also helps very much as it gets the nurses together to talk about their work and what they have learned and turn their experience over to other nurses. In some ways I think its very fine but it is quite an expense on the stations and they are so deeply in debt anyway. You see we look at the financial side as B.M. is station treasurer and has to keep down expenses as much as possible.

Well getting back to the subject, Miss Larson is joined here by Mary (Miss Porter) and right at the very last minute Miss Black decided to go. Some people thought she was foolish just picking up and going on such short notice, two days before she left, as it is such a long trip to Bibanga. She is paying her own expenses so the station did not feel like objecting. I was mighty glad for her to have the trip as we had been here a year and she was due a short vacation, she will likely not get to take a vacation next year. The worst thing of all though,it seemed like to me, was that Georgia is the only single person, I mean lady, on our whole mission who will not be there. She is teaching school and anyway I don't suppose she would feel able to foot her own expenses. I felt sorry for her this morning when the crowd left, because I remember how I sometimes felt when the crowd out at Kiam left me out. Only there was a difference, too, they did it on purpose to hurt me. Understand that does not bother me now, I only wish that I might have stayed away from them more, but I'm off the subject again. Miss Black had four days more in her month for keeping the "Club," but I took it for her so the[y} are with me now for a few days. Mr. Hillhouse and Mr. Craig are the only two left now as Gilliam left with this crowd for Bibanga, but he is only going to Mutato.

The station gave Gilliam a farewell dinner the other evening, and we enjoyed it so much. There were several toasts and speeches that were good. First we served cocktail, tomato gelatin salad, duch dressing, palm cabbage and green peas (canned, of course) and gelatin with whipped cream for desert with angel food cake. I believe that is all, but I may have left out something. A small paper cup was sent around to catch our tears when we said farewell.

I spoke of Georgia being lonesome, I'm trying to prevent some of this by having her here for her meals, that is until we go up to Bulape, which will be in about two weeks. The reason I've gone into detail about these people is that this is the crowd I'm thrown with a great deal, especially Georgia and Mary.

Now I am going to tell you about another of my best friends. Lucile Wilds is in very poor health and the Dr. has advised her to go home with Mr. Martin, of course I mean she and her husband. They hate to go so bad as Mr. Wilds has had to leave each time he's been out here before his time is up on account of his health. He is alright now and she has to go. I hate to see her go so badly, as she is my next door neighbor and we are together a good deal. She came over last night after supper and read to me in my new Ladies Home Journal, you know I do like to be read to, and it is so pleasant to read together. It seems to me that she is actually one of the nicest women I ever met. She has to be operated on and can't be out here as she isn't strong enough. Litle Ann, her baby, has measles now but it does not hurt babies much generally, you know.

Kemp and Rowena came down and spent a week with us not long ago and we enjoyed their visit very much and it seems that we are better friends than ever before. I guess you will think so when you hear that we are going to spend our vacation with them at Bulape out on the lake. This seems fine to me for I hate to be at outs with anyone.

I will have to play for church now as Mary and Mrs. Martin are both away. Don't get to practice very much. Georgia and I visit in the village every Tuesday and Thursday. We visit the teachers, there are about fifty in all and scattered all over Luebo.

It's time for the mail to close, so good bye. I will write again soon.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment