Saturday, August 29, 2009

Congo (79) Luebo, Congo 8/16/1922 [DCS]

"Luebo"

August 16, 1922

My dearest homefolks:

It's raining hard outside and has been for over an hour, so there won't be any prayer meeting, and I'm going to take this time to write to you. This rain means that the dry season is nearly over with and I'm so glad, for this has certainly been a long, dry, dusty, dry season. I'll take back all ever said about the dry season being the most pleasant. It is the coolest, I suppose, but I like rain and green things. I’m going to plant my garden before long, I think, and I'm going to have okra, lettuce, tomatoes, and peas. The other things I'll get from the farm.

I've certainly been making good use of my vacation month. Even though I have the club, I am getting lots done between times. They are less trouble this time than ever before, but of course just having two makes lots of difference even though Mr. Gilliam was pleasant and wasn't a large eater either, it took lots more planning to feed him than either of the others. During the dry season there just isn't much to plan for as we just have to eat the same every day most unless I open lots of canned goods and I'm just too stingy, for it certainly does cost. We are keeping a very close account of all our expenses this time and if we go in the hole, we are not going to have the club any more. I don't feel that with the wear and tear on dishes, linen, and the bother of having them, and then to go in the hole on top is fair, for we have to save as well as they. We have not gone under either of the other times, but we have never kept so close an account before either. Everyone else says they have not covered expenses, but I don't feed them as expensively as they, I am sure. You seem to think we are extravagant, but we are about, if not the least extravagant on this station and we have saved quite a little. There are the Hopson's; they are not out of the hole yet and have been out here over a year and a half now.

I was going to tell you about my work and then got switched off on another subject. In the last two weeks, I've made two pillow cases for Ann Wilds, (all with my fingers), and they were pretty, too, even if I do say it got rid of all my patching and darning, (the boy does the darning of the stockings), besides making me a white skirt from goods gotten across the river, and two collars for B. M. I am proud of both jobs, in view of the fact that I've never done much sewing and they were done all by myself. The goods in the skirt is not what I would get at home where I had my pick but it washes well and looks nice. I needed skirts so badly, but never dreamed they were so easy to make. I'm to copy another from one Miss Black has soon. It's a very pretty pattern, I think. The one I made was very plain, not even any pockets. You know I only had one white skirt when I left home and bought another in England, but it's about the sorriest thing you ever saw. I also whipped the crochet on to that cloth you cut out for a table runner.

Today I've been working on my magazines, putting all the food into one so that I can use the other for storing things and for entertainment stuff. It was a job, but I wish you could take a look at them tonight; they are clean anyway.

B. M. has moved his office into our back room where they have been storing visitors away for the past year and a half. He had such a tiny, hot little place up at the printing office and I had been looking forward for some time to his coming down here, but he didn't seem to think it was possible until just now. This room is about the nicest room in the house and the only one that has glass windows as yet. The glass for the rest of the house has come but there is no one free to put it in for us. .

The Wilds and Mr. Martin left about a week ago. I hated to see them leave as Mrs. Wilds and I were such good friends, but Mrs. McKinnon is so sweet and nice and I know I shall like them very much as neighbors. She and her husband are living where the Wilds lived.

I'm sorry you didn't go to Kerrville for I know you would have had a good time, and I also am sorry Mr. Martin could not have there, he is such a pleasant man and I'd like you both to meet him. I don't much expect you will get to now for he isn't going to stay very long at home. He wouldn't even go home if the mission didn't require him to, I don't think. I intended to fix up a box to send you but they were in such a rush to get off and Mrs. Wilds not strong either. I hated to bother them.

We have electric lights again on Luebo station. The engine Dr. Stixrud bought is running and will put lights in the hospital, the home of Dr. Stix and Mr. Stegall, and Vinson are asking to have their houses wired, there is not enough wire to wire all the houses. This is going to cause hard feelings but I imagine they will get it.

The delegates for Mission Meeting have been chosen and if everyone goes there will only be about eight people left on Luebo station, ourselves included. We did not want to go, at least B. M. didn't so I will stay with him to help hold down the station and we will also get to see how it feels to live on a small station. I may have mentioned it before, but Stegalls leave the first of next month for a visit to Mutoto and Bibanga before going to Lusambo, where the meeting is to be held. The Stixruds and Miss McKay are to take the same trip on the way home from the meeting. I suppose it will take them about two months to make the round trip.

I wonder if we ever wrote you about Miss Setser's engagement to Mr. Shines, the industrial man on Mutoto station. Miss Setser is the nurse who came out with us. They were expecting to get married about the time of the mission meeting, but on some account they have put it off, and are expecting now to go home and be married there. I think it's because her father objects, and he didn't want her to come to the Congo anyway. I have heard that they are very "sensible lovers," did you ever hear of such a thing.

Mr. and Mrs. Vinson have a new girl born about two weeks ago. I gave her one pair of the little boots that were in my "baby set." I certainly hated to give them up, but I have almost lost hope in ever needing them. I'm not going to give up the other things, though, if they lie and rot.

Kate sent me a sweet picture of their new baby at five months old. I think it looks much like the Hammonds, don't you? Speaking of who has the negatives of that picture of you that was taken lately? I want it if I can get it. I've looked everywhere for that picture of you and can't find it. I've almost come to the conclusion that some of the boys have taken it, for they are very fond of pictures. See what you can do about it for me, please, as I was so proud of that picture.

You seem to be uneasy about my health and happiness. I have been having malaria lately, but haven't had any hard fevers, only a little sometimes. I'm taking plenty of quinine and following the Oro's directions, so I'm sure I'll be rid of it in a few days. You must remember, I've never been really sick in the Congo, and that's more than I can say at home. There are very few people who come out here who don't have some very hard fevers soon after they arrive, and therefore we have been very lucky. I am not gaining in flesh, but that does not mean anything with me. I'm just not meant to be 'fleshy, and I'm glad I am not, for fat people don't get along so well out here. And if I'm not happy that's my fault for I have everything to make me so. A nice home, husband and friends.

B. M. is very kind to me and I love him. Of course I get discouraged and blue at times, but if everyone does not do that, I'd like to know who it is. The times when I am blue are mostly when I think if you so far off and I can't see you once in a while. Often I picture you coming in and spending an evening with us until I can almost hear your step on the path and then I'm disappointed when it's not so. You see from that what a strong imagination I have.

I am glad you have another cow and hope she will be giving plenty of milk a year and a half from now. Be sure and don't let her range toward the "moonshiners" or you won't have any to be giving milk. What color is she and has she a calf, etc.

I'm going to have a few words to say on clothes and then stop. B. M. gets after me for writing such long letters, but when I wait a long time to write, I have so much to say. You see he wants me to write more often instead of so much.

Clothes! My yellow skirt has worn out on the seat, but the blouse is good yet, only needs washing and I'm afraid to give it. Washed my brown crepe de chine dress gotten in England and it turned out nicely. The white one gotten at the same time is in good condition and so is my organdy (white). I have never washed it yet, though it needs it. I only wear those two dresses for evening wear so the dirt does not show. Would you believe that I still wear my pink jacket once in a while (at night). I have plenty of nice dresses now, but everyday dresses are my problem. I'm going to make one or two and wear middies and skirts, all my old ginghams are worn out. I don't want any new dresses until I start home~ though. That will be in the winter time and I won't need any summer dresses. I'll need something to wear for evenings on the boat and perhaps a dress to travel in when I get home. Of course, that can be gotten in New York when I get there, but I wanted your opinion as to what kind to get. It seems to me being about March or April, some soft silk that does not wrinkle or hold dust would be best. Wish you would look up about clothes and write about what to get just before time to come home. I have my coat and suit which will be perfectly good unless something happens to it before that time. My biggest problem is on the boat for going from Europe to America, people are expected to dress and I don't want to get English clothes.

I thank you for the package you sent me, haven't gotten it yet, but the Washburns are likely at the Pool before now. Hope you will send my pitcher and bowl set by Miss Kirkland for I need it badly. I'm using one Lucile let me have until she comes back. It is a nice one and I'm afraid I'll break it, but you know I've not had a decent one since I got here. I wouldn't have taken Lucile's but it had already been broken several times and we glued it together so that it will hold.

I can't say I am as enthusiastic over old things as you are, but I like some old things. As to the silver butter dish, what is going to be left for me? You told me long ago that beautiful water pitcher that I think so much of was Hickman's and Daddy says his watch is Hickman's so I'm beginning to wonder where I come in. But I'm not forgetting about that grand, grand old watch I've got promised me. I was thinking and telling someone about it just the other day, so don't you forget. This sounds kind of dictatorial but I didn't mean it that way at all. Aunt Han has at least one picture up in her bathroom, that is it used to be, that's mine if I ever have a home in America.

If you did not send one of my pictures, the kind we had taken in Dallas, please send one the next chance you get. Everyone saw the picture in the Survey, but I'd like to show them the original. I'd prefer the one B. M. had.

I must close now. Am enclosing the picture of Lake house.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

(This note attached to Dorothy's letter)

Dear Mother & Daddy:

This mail closes so suddenly that I haven't time even for a few lines. The mail has been delayed in getting here. This will reach you late.

Love,

B. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment