Saturday, January 9, 2010

Congo (146) Luebo, Congo 5/25/1926 [DCS]

May 25,1926

Dearest homefolks:

Just think! I got four letters from you yesterday evening when the mail came in. My! but I was proud, but the pictures never came. Did you send them? If you sent them, and they are lost, please don't send negatives or pictures through Kiam again. I could send them to Nettie and you could see them that way. The letter you spoke of, I imagine, was the one I thought I failed to seal, but couldn't catch the man to get it back. Perhaps they didn't read it. If so, was there anything that would hurt us in it? Was it the letter where I had heard about Edd's and Dedie's wedding?

If we find out for sure that letters are gone into, couldn't Daddy or Hickman go to the postmaster at Leggett privately and ask that the mail for Pinckney and Kiam be put in separate bags and locked? If the postmaster is the right sort of man, he would do it, I believe. I understood that that was done one way; why not both way? Of course, I don't want you all to get into trouble about it, for there isn't any telling what those folks would do, but it's awful to feel that your personal affairs are scattered abroad. B. M. says he remembers your telling me about Mr. and Mrs. Drew, but I don't. My recollection is that I got it through the Livingston paper. I might even have skipped a page, for I have never missed getting any letters that I know of.

I am worried about the pictures and I won't send any more negatives until I hear from you. I may send some to Nettie. We were so glad to get Daddy's letter. We often wonder how he gets to his appointments these days if the car is in running order and who you get to drive sometimes. Mother spoke of being in Livingston when Daddy was away.

I don't know what to think about Houston's case. It seems to me that he should stay a few years, anyway, for such a strong palaver as killing a man. I feel sorry for him, too, but I never felt like killing was justifiable unless for self-defense, or perhaps a case like Davis'. I am glad you are getting things over the radio now.

Sorry you folks had flu. That's twice in one year, isn't it? Seems to me that's bad.

I believe you must have expected too much from air service. We are very much delighted over it. I got your letter of the 4th of April on the 14th of May. When you get letters a little after others, remember if they get left behind, they do on a French boat or any boat that happens to be at Matadi.

I have seven rose bushes living, and okra, onions, butter beans, pimentos, cabbage, tomatoes, and a kind of native pea in my garden and lettuce and parsley in my raised bed. It's time for dry season, so I won't get much more good out of it, I fear.

I believe you could hold to the idea of not scolding your children in company, for you never had much company. We are always with people, and I have to correct him and if necessary, threaten him in company. I think with a baby the only time you can punish them is immediately, when the act is done. I know, I fail sometimes in the way I handle him but I do want him to be a good boy that people won't mind having around. I do hate a spoiled, meddlesome child.

I suspected that the Allens would be late, as we had heard of his operation in the last mail. Hope they sent things by the Longeneckers. They were placed at Luebo until mission meeting.

I do hope Aunt Nennie's cough is finished by now. Wish I was "peppy" enough to write all my relatives separately. Maybe I will someday. "Tell her I love her, please." How is the Daniel Warren affair. I must have told all I know.

Love to all,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment