Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Congo (112) S.S. Roi Albert, 11/10/1923 [

On board the "Roi Albert"

November 10,1923

Dear homefolks:

We are at last on our way to Kinshasa after quite a little trouble in getting started and quite a little discomfort the first three days of our journey. We had to leave Luebo on a very small, dirty boat, where our cabin was down among the noise, smells and filth of the natives, and trying to prepare our own food at the same time. It was dreadful, but after only two days wait at a little place, Basonga, a mosquito hole and a place where most people have to wait a week or two for a boat, we came on board this boat last night and will likely reach Kin in five or six days. I did not know there was as nice a boat as this on the river. We have nice cabins, well ventilated and clean, electric lights and shower bath equipments. I dreaded the trip on a state boat, and some of them are bad, but this one is a lot more pleasant than the Lapsley. The hard part, of course, is the trip and wait at Basongo. One good fortune too is that we have a very agreeable Captain. The food so far has been fair.

My! I do hope you have remembered to change the address on our letters for I am hungry for news from you. We may have mail when we reach the Pool. We expect any day to meet the Lapsley going up to Luebo with Dr., Mr. Martin, and perhaps the Millers on board. I think it's a shame that we may have to meet in mid stream and not be able even to speak to them, but this is luckily what we will do. I left a letter to Mrs. Miller in Luebo asking her to get out our things there and send them straight to Kin for we were afraid if they waited until they reached Mutoto to send them we might be delayed on account of them.

I wish I could describe the scenery on this river to you in such a way that you could enjoy it as we do, but as I am very poor in description I don't feel that I can do it justice in a letter. B. M. and I certainly do enjoy it especially in the early morning and late afternoon.

From time to time I cannot help thinking, even if we do have to stay a while in Kinshasa, that we are getting nearer and nearer you each day. I wish you would mention in your letters to Terrell that I have changed my plans. I intend to write to them, but it may be some time until I write. I expect to be pretty hard at work for a while after I reach Kin trying to get settled in our new work. I imagine I would dread it very much if it wasn't that I had such good husband, and he knows how and will help me in every way. Other people besides myself have said this so you must know it is true.

There are only two other passengers on board besides ourselves, a man and his wife. They speak only French, so I have quite a tiresome time at the table listening to the others "jabber." I understand a Word now and then, but not enough to hardly keep me awake. But this is something one who does not understand French has to undergo many times out here. My hardest time though is when I'm left to try to entertain them. Then I nearly die.

Well, the boat has stopped for the evening and night and it's always very hot, so I must go on shore. We happened today to stop at a village; this does not always happen, though.

Be sure to write me whenever you can, for as we come nearer we will want news.

Love to you both,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment