Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Congo (111) Luebo, Congo 11/4/1923 [DCS]

"Luebo" Sun.

Nov. 4, 1923

Dearest homefolks:

Here we are still in Luebo, have been packed for a week waiting for a boat to carry us to Kin. If we had gone on the Lapsley it would have put us in Kinshasa a month ahead of time; therefore we planned to go on a company or state boat. The state boat came in last Thursday, but owing to a palaver the Captain had with the State for striking a native soldier, our going was delayed. However, they sent us word that they would leave yesterday morning at seven o'clock, so we all bestirred ourselves and when we got across the river with all our possessions, they told us the Captain's trouble was not finished, so we all had to come back leaving our baggage down on the beach. Later B. M. went down to arrange everything for overnight and they have promised to leave at ten in the morning, but we are beginning to wonder if we ever will leave. I was so tired last night, just as if I had packed all day long. You see we thought clear up until 3 or 4 o'clock that we might get off. These are some real hardships one has to endure in Congo.

I should have been trying to catch up with my letter writing but it is almost impossible to do anything like that when you are so excited over going. You see I have not yet gotten over being a kid in that respect and many others I guess.

Everyone has certainly been lovely to us since we began to pack. We are taking our meals at Rowena's and have been for a week. The women on our station fixed us up a splendid lunch, so we had a picnic supper at Rowena's last night to keep it from spoiling. I haven't eaten my cake yet though. Miss Black made me a fruit cake and iced it. She is a splendid cook and she made me a dear little combing jacket as a parting gift, Rowena a sewing bag and Georgia some curios that I had been trying to get and failed. They also have given me some books to read going down river. I'm going to miss all my good friends at Kin. We will be near the Baptist Mission there but they are all English and the couple I know, the Kirklands who came out on the Anversville with us, are old people, and I fear won't be much real company for me. Though we were all crazy about them.

From all we can hear of our new work and home, we think we shall like it, especially since we have only three months there. I am so afraid that you have forgotten to address our letters there, for in the last mail we got two letters from you and in neither one you spoke of changing the address and we cannot get another mail before we leave here. We will be continually moving now, so try to count up and mail our letters ahead of us. Our plans are to leave Matadi March 8. Even then we will be a month ahead of the Hobsons and the others who came out with us. Of course the Andersons from Bibanga who are to take our place at Kin may not get there in time, then we may have to stay over a few weeks, but we are writing them to please be on time.

Nothing of any especial interest to you happened this year at Mission Meeting, but the thing that made us happy was that B. M. was made manager of the printing office and advised to take up work along that line while at home. This is something I have hoped for ever since we reached Luebo. I have wondered if it would not be possible for B. M. to get in with Mr. in Terrell, then we could all be together there. Of course, this won't be the whole time he is at home. I believe you can see that B. M. could ,stay out home the whole year with nothing to do, but we hope to take you and Daddy with us wherever he works. However, we are going to spend as much time as possible at home.

I'll try to write you another letter on board the boat. Love to you and Daddy.

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment