Saturday, June 6, 2009

Congo (70) Luebo, Congo 3/6/1922 [DCS]

Luebo, Africa

March 6, 1922

Dear Folks:

I am just going to try to answer some of your questions in this letter. Have just mailed one letter to you, but if I tried to catch up with all your letters I'd have to write one most everyday.

I enjoy all the newspaper clippings you send. That little cupie "Cheerful Cherub," I believe it's called, was so cute and just suited in this case exactly didn't it? Was glad to get the clipping of Miss Louise Evans' marriage. That's another case where the bride's father performed the ceremony. I'm mighty glad daddy did insist on performing ours now, but I'll have to admit I certainly did not approve of it at the time.

The "Dorothy Schlotter Aux." is not the only place our name gets misspelled, and there are people on this station who call our name Slaughter yet. Certainly must be a hard name to get. I would not change it again for anything, though. Sounds much better to me than "O! The Dickens!"

From what we hear Mrs. Kellersburger is in better health now; she is continually in our prayers. I don't believe Mrs. K. is the one Mrs. Stixrud meant. B. M. seems to think it might be Mrs. McKee, but we do not know. You know there are several out here that came against their parents' wishes. I thank God you and daddy are not that way. I don't believe I could stand it.

As to my weight, I have not weighed lately, but the last time I weighed I was about like I am in the summer time at home. I feel perfectly well, have a good appetite generally, but I'm just not meant to be fat. B. M. weighs quite a bit more than he did when he was out at home. I think our being able to get away and go hunting and take our dinner with us some Saturdays helps us both.

We are planning a little vacation of about two weeks some time in June. All missionaries are supposed to take a two weeks vacation each year. We want to go for about a day away, but the idea is to get away from everybody and take books to read, write letters and just have a good time by ourselves. Won't that be nice! Wish we could take you too.

You all seem to want me to be sure to know Wyatt is married. I think I have heard it several times and if I'm not mistaken he was married before I left. Lucile wrote me about it also.

Aviation service has been talked of for some time, but there is no telling when it will be. One of the men fell down at Kinshasa and tore his machine to pieces. If it is ever carried out, the line will be within a few hours of us. But I don't think it will be while I'm in the Congo.

Do you know who Frances Myer is? If you can find out, I would like very much to write to her. Dr. Smith knows them very well, and we talked about them when he was here, but he did not know what school she was in either.

That was certainly bad about Ed Willson losing his shingles. I can't say anything bad enough about those people, so I won't try.

Father, we thank you for your letter written in Livingston--we enjoyed it very much.

I would like so much to see your flowers. I have not been able to have any pot flowers; mine are all in the yard, that is they are mostly foliage plants. My monkeys won't let me have any in the house, I mean on the porch. They get loose sometimes, then it's goodby flowers.

I hope Aunt Minnie will not have to leave Kiam, if so I hope you go with her.

I am so glad to be getting the "Blossoms Home Echoes." Aunt Sarah is sending it to me.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment