Saturday, June 6, 2009

Congo (66) Luebo, Congo 2/8/1922 [DCS]

9:30 A.M., February 8, 1922

Dearest homefolks:

It's some exciting time here at Luebo this morning. A message came at 12:30 last night saying the Lapsley was coming into Luebo this morning so we are listening with all ears. I guess there will be one of the biggest crowds of natives down to the river as we have told them about Dr. Smith and they are very much interested, in fact everyone is excited. I'm sitting out on my porch, so I'll be sure and hear it blow. The Lapsley has a very distinct blow, and one does not have much trouble telling it from the other boats. It is a double whistle--one blows a while then they both blow together.

I had my back room all fixed up nice and ready for Miss Porter, but last night, B.M. went to shut the windows and left Pussy in; she slept in there all night on the bed , and this morning there was a "wet place" under her so all the linen had to be changed. , (Such is life, not only in the Congo, though, as I have had such things happen at home in, America.)

I have started to fixing my porch to use as a place to sit. B.M. is putting up the swing and Stegall send me four pretty chairs from the Industrial school, made of “nkodi” -- looks like wicker furniture --only understand they are not that fancy. I already had two, which I bought.

{Footnote: Nkodi means a wicker chair or similar to one.}

Sunday

This is where the whistle started blowing and I was too excited to write more, in fact I got ready to go right down to the boat as you have just about time enough after the whistle blows to get to the landing. We started to having our meeting that very evening, and Dr. Smith did not even give us time to follow out our plans of welcoming him, but they did serve their cake and drink that night after the meeting and Mr. Vinson presented the Dr. with the key of the station, (one very large key made of the wood of one of Montgomery Wards goods boxes), and the other was an ivory key, (very small), made by an industrial school boy. Wish I could remember his talk well enough to tell you, for we laughed ourselves sick. Perhaps B.M. can tell you. It has been over two weeks now since that evening. Our meetings are ended and Dr. Smith and the Lapsley carrying Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland and their household to Lusambo left yesterday. I mean day before yesterday.

We feel very much benefited by the meeting. I learned more about our station, the work, etc., than I could have ever learned elsewhere. Dr. Smith is such a good man, and so alive spiritually. His presence alone would do one good. However, it has stirred up things that make the future of this station look somewhat gloomy, but I hope it won't be so bad as might be expected.

Now I don't want to wait a minute longer to thank you for that box you sent me. I'll let B.M. speak for himself. You cannot know how much I appreciate it. I like the dresses so much and they fit me perfectly. I have not worn the organdy yet. The linen dress is just a beauty, there is so much work on it and I'm afraid too much money. believe more compliments have been passed on the little gingham, but I have worn that more than any. I'm afraid to say which one I like best for they are all so pretty. But the dinner sets were what I really needed more than anything and oh! that set you made does look so pretty on my table and I am so proud of it because my mother made it for me. You must have spent lots of time and work on it. Thank you a thousand times. I have used it only twice so far because there are five of us when the club is here, and they are more like homefolks. The other set is on my table now.

One certainly gets lots of use out of an oilcloth set. I used the set the evening Dr. Smith ate with us, as two of the men were invited out to supper. I have enough stockings now for all of Luebo station. ?? Carroll sent a half dozen twice and you sent me some. The way stockings wear out out here, I don't think I have too many, though.

I'm going to close this letter now and write you a long one real soon. After Dr. Smith's two weeks of meetings, we have had station meeting nearly every night to discuss and note on things that were brought up in these meeting with him, seems like we have absolutely no time we can call our own anymore.

All your letters were so sweet and dear to me. Want to look over them again and· see if there are any questions I have failed to answer.

Lovingly,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment