Monday, March 30, 2009

Congo (38) Luebo, Congo 7/21/1921 [DCS]

July 21,1921

Luebo

My own dear people:

Oh! you know not how glad I was to get your first three letters after you began to number our letters; I think this is such a good idea for now we can tell when our letters are stopped. You spoke something of not writing so often. What would I do? If you only knew how we long for a steamer to come bringing mail, and how we all brighten up when we hear it blowing in. The more letters from you at once, the better. We have been so negligent with our correspondence that we don't get many letters from anyone else. I hear regularly from T.P.C. girls, got a nice letter today from a girl I used to sit at Miss Hallock's table with, she also enclosed her picture.

If I had to wait as long between mails as I did last time, knowing Mother was sick, I don't know what I would have done. It was just one week between mails. I have already written you a big letter for this mail, but after these letters today, I couldn't refrain from writing more.

You spoke, it seemed to me, like you were uncertain whether you would go back home or not. I hate to hear you even suggest such a thing, and some one else live in our little home out there, would nearly break my heart. I'd certainly think a long time before I did. You could live out there even if you didn't teach and I feel like no other place would seem like home to you. I so hope you'll be better after this treatment, and please take good care of yourself. I think it will be awful if you don't go to Marlin.

We have figured out how they got it that B.M. wrote and I didn't. He addresses all our letters and puts his stamp on them. I have decided these people out there, when they want anything a way, they make it that way.

So they have electric lights in Camden now, well an electric plant has been shipped out here, and before long, we will have electric lights also. Holliday must be getting better since George Barnes got put in the pen. He must have been the gentleman he feared.

Yes it would certainly be nice if I could have my piano here, but I have a nice folding organ to practice on. I played for church for the first time since I have been here last night, and I was very much frightened, but got through nicely. I am to play my "uke" for the native children at the close of school next week. Mrs. Cleveland has asked me to play while she beats time for the children to sing. They certainly need to be trained.

Hoping all are well by now, with bushels, and bushels of love.

Your daughter,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment