Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Congo (87) Luebo, Congo 11/19/1922 [DCS] [BMS]

"Luebo"

Sunday, Nov. 19, 1922

Dearest homefolks:

No, I have not forgotten you, but love you just as I always have. I've never been so busy in all my life. As I told you in my last letter Georgia left me the school and she hasn't come back yet, and we have been having so much company and from all prospects we are going to have more. The Lapsley came back bringing some of our delegates from mission meeting, the others coming home by Mutoto by land. The coming of the Lapsley always means lots of entertaining. It is expected here again the first of December and Mr. Gilliam is to start on his trip home. The Lapsley is to make a trip to and from the pool as fast as it can and will take missionaries down every trip. So many missionaries go home in the next few months. Sarah & Steg and the McLaroys go in February, the Whartons in March or April and there will be a continual string. The Millers have already gone home, they are one of the few married couples that I have not met.

Talking of so many going home makes me long for my time to come, but I think that the time will pass fast now and February 1924 will soon be here. That is the time we are planning to start. That reminds me, if you see a pretty "dress up dress" anywhere and have any way to send it to me in time, it would certainly come in handy, but for anything, don't put yourself out as you have done so much for me already.

We at last got the package Carroll mailed from Terrell; we were so afraid it was lost but everything came in fine shape. The dress is a perfect fit and looks good on me. Besides coming in well now, it will give me a pattern for others as they have some pretty white heavy goods in the magazine that will make up pretty that way. I use the scarf so much and prize it highly for my own dear mother made it for me. I want to keep it always. It's so pretty and just the right weight for those cool mornings. I guess you think I'm crazy for using it every day, but I need everyday things more than things for dress up. The shoes are a little small, but I can wear them and B. M. is going to have them stretched for me in the Industrial School. They are just beautiful and I needed them so badly, because my last pair of black shoes are all out on the bottom.

Kemp and Rowena are with us and have been since Thursday; as I told you in our last letter, they came here and Allens go to Bulape. Kemp is to be a traveling evangelist and Rowena will go with him when she can. She has also been put in charge of the girl's home with Miss Black as helper. I was appointed in charge, but would not take it as I feel that I'm too young to take charge of 65 girls and do them justice. I feel that I'm nothing but a girl myself as yet and must take up difficult duties gradually. The Hobson's are proving to be fine missionaries and we are now the best of friends; they are staying with us until they start keeping house. I believe now it was as you said we were thrown too closely together, but I cannot tell you how it hurt me to think that I had started out my married life falling out with people. My! but that was awful. We are going to be near neighbors again, but things are entirely different.

Last week and the two following weeks are examination weeks with me and I am having so much less help than I had expected. Mrs. Allen is busy packing to leave for Bulape and Mrs. Vinson is sick. Sarah is helping a little, but as she is going home soon and has two children besides herself and husband to sew for its hard for her to give me much of her time. I'm going to try and get Rowena to help me some.

The Edmistons are coming to Luebo on their way to take up their abode in Mutoto. They sent me some beautiful madiba cloth from the Bakuba country and I'm going to make me a pretty dress when I get home. It came this morning, also a piece of native dye. I'm gathering up as many curios as I can but there aren't many nice ones around here. We expect to take a trip around to the different stations before we come home, then will be our time to gather curios.

The mission meeting did away with Lusambo station except for a transport station. No one will live there except the Daumerys in dry season, when they can't make trips to Luebo. The Daumerys have a fine baby girl, just as pretty and sweet as she can be. I gave Mrs. Daumery the prettiest pair of baby booties in my baby set and two of the little dimity dresses. 'suppose you see from this that I've given up hopes until I get home anyway.

Mrs. McKinnon and Mr. Cleveland have been appointed to pick out a place for another mission station to take the place of Lusambo. Mrs. Cleveland is coming here to stay until he comes back, then they are going to start for home. Seems like everything centers around Luebo. The Andersons are coming in December to take Stegs place in the Industrial School. I'm hoping I'll like Dorothy Anderson better than I did before.

The bride and groom are expected here next Wednesday. They are on their way home from the lake at Bulape where they spent their honeymoon, and I must say that's a mighty fine place to spend one.

There is going to be another bride and groom around here soon as Mary and Mr. Morrison are fixing to be married as soon as their papers come and then make a visit to Scotland. We have gotten to like Mr. Morrison fine since he came and Mary is one of my best friends, in fact she did me the honor of telling me first of her engagement, but some people criticize her for engaging herself to a man when she had only known him six weeks, but they are neither one of them spring chickens so I think they ought to know their own minds. I am helping her make tatting for a dinner set.

We four & Mr. Craig took tea across the river yesterday afternoon and played tennis afterwards. The madam where we went does not speak English, at least only a few words, so it's mighty hard to make ourselves understood, for neither Mary nor I speak French. That's the biggest reason I have for not wanting to go over there very often, but they had some such lovely little cakes like we used to get in Brussells, perhaps you remember my speaking of them while I was there. I'm anxious to learn to make them myself.

We are so "city fied" in Luebo now besides electric lights in three houses we have a nice picture show and I am actually tired of going, can you imagine my turning down a date to go to a picture show? Well, I've done it several times. When I heard that we were to have a picture show, I imagined it would be some little sorry affair not worth going to, but this one is just as good as any you would want and has some such enlightening films. They haven't got it fixed up properly yet and everyone has to stand up and I get so tired, that's the reason I stay at home sometimes.

The best news I've heard lately is that the mission appointed Mr. Savels to take over B. M.'s extra work, so that he may put in almost his full time in the printing office. This is what both B. M. and I have wanted ever since we got here. Oh! if I could only tell you how glad I am because of that. The Savels will be back 'from their furlough soon but no one knows exactly when.

There is going to be a station dinner given tomorrow in honor of the Allens and Hobsons. Did you ever hear of quite so much entertaining? The Allens will eat a farewell dinner at my house tomorrow at noon.

I have my eye on an organ to keep, it's not in good fix at all now, but I'm hoping someone will come along who can fix it. Perhaps Mr. Daumery can. They are going to stay here several days between the next trip, and I guess they will stay with us.

Christmas will be here soon but I'm not intending to make much of Christmas this year, that is, in the way of giving and receiving presents. I have none to give and it's one sure thing I'm not going to have time to make anything. The only thing is that I'm hoping no one will feel it their duty to send me anything, for that wouldn't make me feel good.

I'm getting such nice tomatos out of my garden now, and it's mighty nice just now since we have a flood of company. But I must have put too much fertilizer on them as they are all dying and I can't imagine what else it could be. Are you trying to raise anything in your garden these days?

How is the phone? I haven't heard you say much about it lately. Can you phone to Livingston?

It's time to get ready for church, so farewell.

Love to all,

Dorothy

Dec. 2nd.

Dear Mother & Daddy--just a line to say that I haven't time to write now, as we have only a short notice that mail closes before breakfast this A. M••

With love,

B. M.

No comments:

Post a Comment